~enemies & strangers~

I kneeled into the soil the water started to seep through my trousers instantly.
"No, no shadow don't you dare do this don't let me fight alone!" I grabbed her shoulder tightly. Punishing her in the jaw.
A raindrop trickled down the back of my neck following the trail of my spine. In a matter of seconds, the rain started pouring down.
"Shadow?"
My call didn't work she was curled up into herself. Shivering like a baby bird. Blood covered her skin.
"You have... You have to fight them."
"I'm not a fighter... I heal and love I'm no fighter..."
"Well, you have to be." Her voice was small vowed in a whisper.
A hand grabbed the fabric of my collar dragging me back to the ground. My face hit the damped ground scraping against the rough edges of the stone and branches, blood started to fill my mouth as something hard hit my jaw. Darkening the edges of my vision.
~~~~~~

My head was pounding in a dull rhythm, my face sore from whatever hit me. Hands started to ach behind my back.
"...You'll regret that." A hiss busted through my ear.
I opened my eyes, and light dazzled through the trees, down onto the metal blade in the man's hand. The crowd of theótites's formed a cresent moon behind him, as he hovered over me.
Shadow sat next to me right up to her dagger out of her reach, shivering with anger.
"Don't start anything you can't win... A little girl." A man chuckled.
Shadow launched forward, earning a bunch of laughter from the men.
Furry started to flare through my veins.
I remember the calls Aaliyah gets in the streets. I've seen it happen to other girls. But never would've through the daughter of hate would live the same life.
"Stop that!" I sneered.
"Oh someone is awake, let's begin."
"Wait begin what?" Shadow's eyes widen starting at the man.
"Crossing the moon gate." A man nodded to the stone circle covered in moss and ivy a purple butterfly nestled into the green leaves.
"They need a moon child to cross it," I mumbled to shadow.
"They need YOU to cross it."
"Everyone knows you're more powerful than I am."
She bumped my arm with her shoulder.
"Take him, keep her here... I have some other idea's with the girl." The man smiled picking up shadow's dagger from the soil. Tracing the burn work with his nails.
"Don't try." Adrenaline screamed through my body. Anger flaming my skin.
"Don't touch that!" Shadow stared at the man's hand on her dagger.
"Oh, are you attracted to your little knife?" The man smiled earning chuckles from the crowd behind him.
"Give it back!" She launched forward but was pulled back instantly by the ropes.
"Try to get it." He threw it on the ground. Dusting it with black sand.
"We caught a feisty one didn't we?" A man in the crowd laughed.
"That means only more trouble."
"Oh, I like trouble."
"And we love a challenge, don't we boys." The man in front of us turned around to the crowd as they drowned in their laughter and banter.
Shadow eyes her dagger trying to hook the heel of her boot over it to drag it closer to her, yet couldn't reach it.
"I could just..."
"No."
"Okay." I shifted straight against the tree my hands scraping the ropes.
After a while, she groaned in frustration. Resting her head against the tree.
I slowly moved my leg dragging the dagger closer. To me, until it was in between us, shadow stretched her hand to grab it as quick as possible. Shooting me a short smile to thank me.
"Cut the ropes."
"What if I only do mine and leave you here."
"Don't do this right now." Panic started to rise to my throat. Eager to tug my way out of these ropes. "Just cut the ropes."
"Okay okay, no need to get angry." She started to cut her hands free.
The cold blade slid between the rope and my wrist. I sucked in a breath trying not to move too much.
The rope broke with a snap, I scrambled up unhooking the bow from my shoulder drawing an arrow at the men.
"Go find Apollo." I hissed at her aiming at the man who stared at the catcalling.
"The what now?"
"The horse goes find the horse." I swept one look at her before starting to fire the arrow.
She sprinted away.
~~~~~~~

My heartbeat leapt against my ribs as the forest died down from the screams in pain. I watched the men crumble and fall to the ground. Air filling with the smell of blood.
Shadow had managed to get the headpiece on Apollo but was just an inch too short to heave the old saddle onto his back.
Ancestors curse me... I don't have time!
"Leave it." I made my way over to shadow grabbing the saddlebags from the saddle itself.
"No, I can do this..." She heaved the side in her arms again.
"There's no time. leave it it's fine it's an old saddle." I swung the saddlebag over Apollo's neck.
"Give me your feet I'll help you up."
"What?"
"I'll help you up we have to go now!"
"Are we..?"
I grave her ankle heaving her onto apollo's back. Swinging myself behind her.
The reins felt rough in my hands. air growing thicker as I urged Apollo into a trot,  He fastly jumped over into a rushed galop.
Heartbeat hammered against shadows back as we rushed back home.