disappointment

Please please please, just let me do well this once. You shut your eyes and crossed your fingers as Ms Kang called out your name. "Park y/n."

It was the math paper, your nemesis since young. You could never get your brain around the confusing formulas and skills needed to master the subject, so here you were, still struggling with math even in high school. The finals were coming and you still couldn't do it to save your life.

Standing up, you bit your lip and walked down the row, legs shaking nervously with each step you took and received the paper from her. "It's an improvement from the previous test, good job! There are things you should probably revise more and you'll be fine." She smiled, patting you on your back. You thanked her and held the paper tightly in your hand, heart palpitating rapidly and you returned to your seat.

Placing the paper face down on the table, you slowly flipped it around, holding your breath, and looked around to check that no one was looking and took a glance. Instantly, your heart sank from the number on the paper. "65/100" was written on the script. Damn Ms Kang was so optimistic, how am I going to be fine with a grade like this? You thought, smiling bitterly. Looking through the script, you realised so many mistakes were due to your carelessness and lack of skills in the subject. You spent so much time and effort revising already, why wasn't it showing? The rest of the day passed quickly, you didn't even absorb much during the other lessons. The mark on the paper just kept swirling through your mind, taunting you about how badly you scored. You seriously had to buck up or graduation would not come smoothly.

"y/n, how's your math paper? You said you'd be getting the paper today right?" Soobin asked cheerfully once you got home. Saying nothing, you put your bag down and dug out the paper, handing it to him. He took it over, looking at you with a concerned face as he skimmed through the paper.

"I did badly didn't I?" You asked, letting out a hollow chuckle, your eyes not matching the smile on your face. "Sit down first." He said softly, patting the sofa and beckoning you to sit down and listen. Taking a seat, you waited for him to start speaking. You still weren't meeting his eyes even when you sat down, and just kept fiddling with your fingers. "y/n, look at me." He coaxed gently, putting a hand under your chin and slowly lifting your face so that your eyes met each other's. "y/n, you didn't do badly, believe me." He said, cupping your face and smiling comfortingly. 

"I did." Your chin wobbled from holding in the tears you'd kept in all day. "I did my best, but it still wasn't good, the finals are coming soon and I still can't do well, what am I going to do?" You blubbered, the tears that welled up in your eyes finally trickled down your cheeks and fell onto your hands. You just felt like you weren't enough. 

"I'll help you. We'll do the questions together okay? I'm making sure you are graduating with a huge smile on your face. I promise." Soobin smiled, his dimples appearing as he wiped your tears away with a brush of his fingers and pushed your hair out of your face. 

The next few weeks passed quickly as Soobin and you sat at the dining table, solving questions and memorising formulas for the finals. "Last question for the day. What's the formula for quadratic equations?" He asked, holding the worksheet away from you. "x equals negative b ± square root of b square minus 4ac over 2a?" You answered, the formula pretty much engraved in your brain by now. "Mmhm, looks like the practices we did helped! Good job y/n!" He exclaimed, peppering your face in kisses. "It's all thanks to you Binnie, I couldn't have improved without you." You grinned, leaning in for a hug.

                                                            ❥  

"Binnie! Look what I got for my math paper!" You squealed, barreling through the door, holding your script and waving it up and down in excitement. "Wahh an A! I knew you could do it y/n!" Soobin grinned happily, ruffling your hair. "Come on, you helped a lot." Your lips quirked into a smile. "Anything for you love, now shall we go celebrate with dinner? My treat for you because my girl worked so hard for this, let's go!" Soobin cheered, grabbing your hand and pulling you enthusiastically out of the door, feeling so happy for you knowing how hard you worked for the results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: uh i'm not in high school yet so idk what they learn and just randomly put a math formula over there that i found on google, sorry if it's incorrect ack. anyways hope you liked it! i've been swamped with projects and assignments this week so i haven't been updating that frequently as i would've liked to ;-; and the subject you can imagine it as any subject you're not that good in and if you're good in everything then good 4 u :D

Edit: HELP I JUST REALISED I KNOW THE FORMULA FOR QUADRATIC EQUATIONS BUT LIKE I THINK IT'S COS I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO DO IT BACK THEN WHEN I WROTE THIS. I ALR CORRECTED IT SKJDKSJ