-2-

I just moved to New York City, but my old home was destroyed when the police stormed in, looking for my brother. Howard offered me one of his houses in New York, close to his butler, if something went wrong. Nothing went wrong so far, with the emphasis on so far.

Downstairs people were yelling. Probably Peggy and Howard. It sounded like them. It stopped pretty soon, I don't think it was a big fight.
"Rose!" Howard yells. Oh no, what did I do wrong now...
"Yeah?"
"Can you help me with something?"
"Depends on what it is." He sighs, trying to do it without me noticing and smiles again.
"Oh, you just have to steal something for me." What. The. Fuck. He smiles very dumb, and that's hard for a genius like him.
"What is it..."
"One of my inventions. Every one of these inventions from my vault can cause large-scale destruction. Thankfully, they're not all active, but this one... This one is. "
"What does it do?"
"London was antsy about Germany dropping bombs on her, so I created the Blitzkrieg Button. You press the button, and you get an instant city-wide blackout. If that thing is activated in New York, the whole tri-state area will be plunged into the dark ages for years to come."
"Where can I find it?" Peggy and Howard look at each other. It's not a good look.
"Uhm, in the lab of the SSR..." Howard says, with a little worried look.
"I don't even know where that is."
"I can bring you." Peggy says and she hands me my coat.

Why, why did I agree to this. I love my brother, believe me, I do, but stealing?! From the SSR? That goes way too far. If I get caught, they'll find out about my real name, arrest me, look trough my house, find Howard and arrest him.
"Here it is." We walk into the building of the phone company, where Peggy works. "Hello, Rose." She says and a red haired woman looks up.
"Hi Ms. Carter, who's this?" She scans me.
"This is another Rose." She smiled.
"I like namesakes!" She opened some kind of elevator.
"Peggy, I knew you didn't work at the phone company." She shrugs and gives me a little smile.

We walk into an office. No one looks up, they're probably too busy doing whatever they're doing. Peggy leads me to a hall, with multiple doors. "This one is the lab, I have to go, but don't get caught."
"Ok- YOU HAVE TO GO?" She nodded and walked away. I'm gonna get her for that.

No one seems to be noticing me, so I sneak into the lab carefully. The lights go on. The lab is full of stuff, I recognize some of it. Howard always showed me his newest inventions, he's always so proud of it.

Howard told me that it was some kind of ball, with 1 switch on it. There's a weird gun, every time I walk past it, it lights up. Finally I notice a grey ball with a switch. This is probably it. I put in on my purse, very carefully, and walk out of the lab as fast as I can.

"Halt." There's a tall man standing in front of me. "What we're you doing there, I don't think you're allowed to come in here." It's the guy from yesterday, I recognize his voice.
"Oh, I was looking for the exit, I just had an interview..." It looks like he doesn't believe me, but eventually he steps aside.
"I'll take you there." He puts his hands in the pockets of his pants and walks in front of me.

Peggy just came out of another room. "Agent Thompson, she-" I shake my head as fast as I can.
"-Is probably new here, it's very nice of you to show her around.
"Oh, I wasn't-"
"Good, coffee?" She looks at us both.
"Yeah, sure." He says and Peggy walks away while writing something. Jack sits down on his desk.
"Hey, now I recognize you, I saved your life yesterday." I just nod while watching Peggy asking some men what they want for lunch.
"You could at least thank me."
"I did."
"Thank me again." That dude has too much ego.
"Here's your coffee." Peggy came in at exactly the right moment.
"I've got to go." Jack points to the door.
"That's the exit." I walked out of there as quickly as possible.