-27-

A few months later

"Stark!" It was still getting used to them not calling me Maguire anymore. I walked into Jack's office, Sousa right behind me. As Jack gave me a kiss, Daniel watched. He made funny faces on purpose and I broke the kiss with laughter.
"What is it, Thompson?" He asked.
"A new office is opening in Los Angeles, it's your job to find people for it."
"Found one." Sousa pointed to himself.
"I thought so." Jack said and got up from his chair and sat down on his desk as usual.
"Hola, maybe I want to come too?" Jack chuckled.
"Why would you? Here's your brother, Peggy, Me..." It was cute how he called himself.
"Yes, but I won't stay there forever and it's a great opportunity for my career." When he started to see that I meant this seriously, his smile slowly faded away.
"Come on, just for a few months! I'm sure Daniel could use a good assistant." Sousa nodded enthusiastically, but as soon as Jack gave him an angry look, he quickly stopped.
"Jack... seriously?"
"I'll think about it, okay?" I nodded, but I didn't have a chance anyway. He had shown that he did not agree. On the one hand I understood, I wouldn't want Jack to suddenly leave for Los Angeles, but on the other hand he is one of the only ones who knows how distressing this is for me. It would have a whole lot of effect on my career, not bringing lunch anymore for example. I followed Sousa outside.
"That guy only thinks about himself." he said as I closed the door behind me.
"I understand him too."
"Yes, but this is a great opportunity for you!"
"Believe me, I know." He sat down at his desk and I leaned against it.
"Maybe you'll get him that far." He fumbled through some papers.
"I hope so."

I was just about to leave the office when Jack called me. I honestly thought he was already gone. I leaned against the door of his office, not in the mood for another discussion.
"Let's talk about the job in L.A." he said, pointing to a chair across from him.
"I'll just stand here."
"Whatever." He pressed his fingertips together.
"How much would you like that job?"
"Believe me, a lot." He bit his lower lip.
"Fine, then you go to Los Angeles." Seriously? I gave him a hug, which was quite awkward as he was still sitting awkwardly in his chair.
"Thanks, Jack, you don't know how much this means to me."
"A lot, I hope."
"Absolutely." He stood up now too.
"Will you join me for dinner?" I nodded and he threw his coat over his shoulders.
"Great, let's go."

Little chapter, I just wanted to tell you that we are now entering season two. One or two more chapters and then that season begins.

Guys, are you kidding me? 1.6k reads?! That's amazing! Thank you so much!