-40-

"This is a private club... in America." We walked down the hallway with Jack. I put my hands in the pockets of my skirt. It must have looked terrible, but I didn't care.
"You need a search warrant, probable cause. What part of "this case is closed" was unclear to you?"
"I told you there was a conspiracy afoot. The Arena Club is fabricating the future just the way that they fabricated the story about Dr. Wilkes. The newspapers I found are proof. The headline read "Anderson ankles election.""
"What the hell does that even mean?"
"Try learning English, Jack." I said.
"It means he's stepping down."
"The date on the newspaper is tomorrow's date. They were gmng representative Anderson a warning... "Resign willingly and we'll play nice. Refuse and we'll ruin your life." "Either way, the results stay the same... Calvin Chadwick wins a seat in the Senate. The arena club knows what's happening tomorrow because they're making it happen" Peggy explained.
"Do you have any idea the can of worms you're asking me to open? Rigging an election is a serious accusation." I sighed.
"All the more reason to listen to Peggy. Where are those newspapers?"
"I-I had to leave them behind."
"Well, of course you did. God forbid bringing me actual evidence."
"Hold on, Jack. If something comes up on one of Peggy's bugs, we have all the evidence that we need." Sousa said. I nodded and looked at Peg.
"The bugs were destroyed. The club must have had some kind of countermeasure that shorted out all of Howard's devices."
"So you've got nothing? Why are we even having this conversation?!"
"Jack, will you just listen for once!" I yelled.
"Why are you even here, huh? Your presence adds nothing."
"Your presence only ruins everything."
"Will you two stop fighting? We need to dig deeper into the Arena Club." Peggy said.
"It ain't happening."
"They're colluding to throw an election. They've already smeared a man they tried to kill."
"God, you are so hell bent on clearing your pal Wilkes. I think your emotions are clouding your judgment." I wanted to kill that guy.
"You're being a coward!"
"Peggy." Sousa tried to calm her down.
"Why aren't you calming her down?" She nodded in my direction, I probably had steam coming out of my ears.
"You are so afraid of ruffling powerful feathers that you're doing what you always do... Burying an ugly truth and hoping someone will pin a medal on you." She said. Everyone was silent.
"You're done here. Get on the next plane back to New York." That's where I snapped.
"So you're sending her back for telling the truth, but not me?"
"It's different."
"Yeah sure."
"If you want to go so bad, go!"
"I'm not going anywhere." He sighed.
"Than why are you arguing with me?" I had nothing to say anymore.
"Very well, anything else?" I bit my tongue.
"Yeah." He gave me an annoyed look.
"We're over."
"I thought we already were." He grinned and I stormed out of his office, with Peggy and Daniel behind me, just like yesterday.