s1 e1

content warning for if you didnt read the description: mentions of self harm, age gap

Torrence Miller, she had lived in Reseda her entire life with her mom. She's best friends with Eli Moskowitz and Demetri Alexopoulos. She was a big target for bullying because she was a nerd and didn't fit into everyone else's standards. She mostly wore dark clothes, and thick eyeliner was always around her eyes. "So, Alexopoulos," She started. She had always been one to call people by their last names instead of their first. "When are we watching the new Spiderman movie? I've been waiting to see it." She tells Demetri as they sit at her apartment. "I can't get this one early." He tells her.

"Damn." She lifts her head out of Eli's lap, sitting up and grabbing her phone. "No, Torrence, don't even check Instagram." Demetri tells her, snatching her phone. "Damn it. Moskowitz, get my phone." Eli shakes his head. "I agree with Demetri. I think you should delete the app altogether." He says. "Hey, if I wasn't meant to read the messages, I wouldn't get them." She states. "You know exactly what they say! It's the same thing every day! Has been since they found out, Tor." Demetri states angrily. "I know. But I always hope there's one that isn't as bad as the rest."

Demetri hands the phone back, sighing. "If they say anything bad, delete them." He says, pointing a finger at her. "Of course. Always do." Eli reads over her shoulder, his eyes meeting Demetri's, shaking his head softly. She gets the same messages every day, just different variations of someone telling her to kill herself. She reads each and every one, memorizing the words as if they mean anything and not just letters strung together. Demetri takes the phone, deleting message after message before handing it back. "There. Now check in with Aisha, then turn it off." He tells her softly.

Soon enough it goes silent, Torrence lying across the two boys, Eli carefully running his fingers through her hair as they watch the Office. Torrence's mom, Eliza, comes in not too long after Torrence falls asleep. Demetri carefully moves her legs off of him, taking her phone off the coffee table. "Oh, Demetri, something you need?" "You've gotta talk to the school. I know she tells you not to, but it's getting worse. It's escalated to people telling her to kill herself." He tells Eliza quickly, sneaking glances at Torrence. Eli nods, backing up Demetri's statement. They're going against everything she's begged them not to do.

Eliza takes the phone with tear-filled eyes, the comments and messages much worse than she imagined. "Oh, oh my." She mumbles, quickly handing the phone back. Demetri sighs, setting the phone back down as it buzzes again. Eliza takes one glance at her daughter, knowing this is the only time she'll get any sleep. She hears her all night long whenever the boys aren't here. "I'll talk to the school next week. Let's give it this week to see if it calms down." She tells the boys, thanking Demetri for coming to her. He sits back down, carefully setting Torrence's legs in his lap again as he sighs.

She is never going to forgive him. That night, after the boys left, she decided to bike down to the strip mall, walking into the little convenience store. She grabs a six-pack of Mountain Dew and a candy bar as a blonde man walks in. She pays, walking out and bumping into a Latino boy. "I'm sorry." She apologizes quickly, looking up at him. "My fault, I wasn't watching where I was going." He says, stepping out of her way. "I've never seen you around before. I'm Torrence Miller." "Miguel Diaz. I just moved here." She smiles lightly. "You go to West Valley?" She asks.

"If it means seeing you," He pauses and she braces for the worst. "Then hopefully." He tells her. Her smile widens. "I'll see you around, Diaz." She says, patting his shoulder as she leaves. She shoves the candy bar into her pocket as she walks to her bike. She finds it gone. "Great. Just great." She starts her walk home, getting there just after dark. "Where've you been?" Eliza asks her daughter. "I went down to the strip mall and spent most of my time walking home. Someone stole my bike." "Again?" Her mom asks. "It's not my fault you haven't bought me a lock for it." She tells Eliza.