s3 e1

Two weeks passed and Torrence still hasn't woken up. Johnny sits at a bar, watching the news. He hasn't shaved or showered and he's been there for hours. Customers were starting to get a bit weirded out at the man. "Sir. It's time to settle your tab and move on." A man says. "Light beer is for pussies." Johnny answers, referring to his tab that says Coors light instead of Coors Banquet. "Do I need to call the cops?" The man asks. "I don't know, do you?" Johnny asks. "Police are still looking for Robby Keene, who ran away after kicking fellow student Torrence Miller off a second floor balcony, landing right on this staircase."

Johnny watches the tv screen, listening to the news. "Keene has since been expelled. Miller, meanwhile, remains in a coma at West Valley General. Doctors say her prognosis-" The channel changes from a picture of Torrence to baseball. "Hey! I was watching that." Johnny slurs at the man who had changed the channel. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was your TV, homie." The man answers. "Change it back!" Johnny slurs again. "It's the bottom of the ninth. You wanna see the news, check your phone." The man tells him, starting to walk away. "I don't have a phone. I threw it away."

The man and his friend laugh. "Look at this guy." They say in Spanish. Johnny walks closer to them and the one man crinkles his nose. "Oh! When's the last time you showered, cabrón? You smell like a piece of dog shit took a dump." He says and his friend laughs. "Change it back." Johnny says. "Bro. You're at a bar. People wanna watch the game. They don't give a shit about no weather report or some coma kid." The man states before cheering with his friend. They start to leave and the man presses the remote to Johnny's chest before dropping it. "Here you go, homie."

It hits the floor. "Oops! That's my bad." He and his friend laugh as they leave. Johnny follows them, punching out the man's car window, pulling him through it. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" The man's friend asks. "Kicking your ass." Johnny answers. Normally, Johnny would be able to take these guys on no problem, but he's drunk out of his mind at the moment. "Call the police." The man tells his friend in Spanish. "You're dead, amigo." He says in English before kicking Johnny. It ended in Johnny getting arrested. Eliza Miller, on the other hand, was sitting at the hospital with her daughter, telling her about what's happening.

At work and at home. "I um, I got us a dog. Buster. Boring name, I know. But it's so quiet." She tears up. "It's so quiet. I never realized just how much I loved hearing your laugh." She lets out a choked laugh, tears rolling down her cheeks. "I have a meeting to go to tonight. They're trying to expel you at school. You got hurt and they have the nerve to try and expel you." She shakes her head, pushing hair out of Torrence's face. "I'll make things right, baby." She tells her. "Johnny asked how you were. I know you love him but I told him not to ask anymore. His son is the reason you're in here."

And as if she weren't in a coma, Eliza expected her to sit up and yell. Scream. Throw a fit because she said Johnny shouldn't ask how she is anymore. Instead, she lay there, machines helping her to breathe because they're not sure she'd be able to on her own. Eliza tears up again, just wanting her daughter to sit up and yell about her being in the hospital because 'it's not that serious.' She always told her mom not to worry, no matter how bad things were. Kyler broke her nose in middle school and she told her it wasn't that big of a deal because she instigated. She was so strong. Always so strong.

So what in the world was stopping the girl from waking up right now? She should be awake. She shouldn't be in the hospital. And Eliza believes it's no one's fault but her own. Had she said no to karate, or even pulled her out when she got bit by that dog, she wouldn't be in this position. She should've pulled her out. No matter how much she protested, she especially should've pulled her when she started getting romantically involved with Johnny. Eliza checks the clock, knowing she has to leave to go to the school board meeting. "I've gotta go, but I'll be back tomorrow." She says to her.