Chapter 12

Speak to everyone in the same way, wether they are the bin men or a world leader!

Copper town was a small and close-knit community, a place where everyone knew everyone. Together they lived along the fringes of UNSC space, working to make a life for themselves outside of the comforts of prime space. No one in the town cared if your family had emigrated from the great cities of Earth, or had always lived on the road. No one cared if you had once held great power and wealth, or were once a beggar on the street. No one cared what colour skin you had or what word you used for god. If you worked hard, and supported the community then you were looked after.

It was a very unoriginal trend within the UNSC. Tight knit communities of working folk living away from governmental oversight. Even the town's name was repetition to the many registered traveling merchants within the UPA. Yet that didn't make the town any less valuable or less different. No, what made Pandora's Copper Town special was the wide flowing River Misery which ran beside it, separating much of the planet's south-western plains from the north-west coastal towns.

The River Misery was a difficult obstacle for any conquering army, having only two feasible crossing points without the need of going around. Near to where the river joined the vast Pandoran ocean was the most popular crossing point but was too far west for the UNSC's liking, and carried far too great a risk of being bogged down by the wide-open swampland. So Copper Town was the chosen target, its heavy arching bridge the prize of the UNSC.

"Sir, with all due respect I still lack the required material build-up for a push of this magnitude." Stuffy explained. Taking a heavy sigh, he looked back up at the hologram of First Minister Polit, "As stated in a previous report, the Republic's lucky bomber raid on our landing site 2 weeks ago has crippled my ability to resupply from space. The astonishing hit on the supply ship Duty-18 has completely halted any and all heavy resupply efforts, and until the ship is repaired or an alternative landing site is secured I am unable to conduct the necessary offensive operations of the size you ask."

Polit stroked his chin gently, reviewing the battle plans in front of him. "Whilst I am disappointed that the people of Pandora must endure more suffering, I understand the difficult position you find yourself in General. Do what you can with the resources at your disposal and I will deal with any backlash for the slow effort."

"Thank You, sir." Stuffy replied, giving a smart and crisp salute, watching silently as the elder council and high command disappeared among a haze of holographic light, all except for Dr Jones, head of CMIA.

"Before I depart, Smith, I wanted to talk to you about the mandalorians. What do you know about the reasons for their departure." The Dr questioned, pushing his square glasses up a bit. Stuffy silently cursed, he hated conversations with anyone above him in seniority within the Agency.

"Ronin and her team, sir? I heard they were being given another assignment, but they didn't mention what it was. Why do you ask?" Stuffy replied, cautiously.

"Well you see there was a slight debacle here at headquarters over Murphy's report."

Fuck

"Those who support HADES were a little upset with the notion of the mandalorians letting the Jedi live," Stuffy could tell Jones was underplaying what happened heavily, "many suggested the removal of the team from Pandora, even in light of your praiseworthy report on their reconnaissance efforts. And whilst I was inclined to let the matter slide, certain individuals have pressured me to remove them from your command, and give them alternate assignments. I was however able to sway their minds on calling for your replacement, it would be a shame if the UNSC's top divisional commander lost his job over a small skirmish he had no control over, wouldn't you agree."