Chapter 15

Semper Occultus

"What do we know of the situation on Pandora?" Dr Jones questioned his analysts, his blue eyes scanning the various documents and reports spread across the briefing room's holo-table. "Natalia, let's begin with the enemy's strategic situation."

"After Azure, the Republic command on the planet has been changed significantly." the auburn-haired analyst replied through her thick Russian accent, pushing her glasses further up her nose. "Feeding off of the intelligence provided by the mandalorian asset 'Ronin', it seems it has been to our advantage." Clicking on several holo-projections the analyst soon presented a chain of command with various images and names displayed. "As before, Jedi General Kenobi remains in charge of all Republic ground forces, with his second-in-command Clone Marshall Commander Cody commanding the bulk of the 7th Sky Corp. However, the more significant changes have come further below, with fresh clone battalions and their jedi now replacing the veteran units of the 501st and 104th which have both been rotated out for deployment elsewhere in the galaxy."

"These fresh units, do they pose a risk?" Jones asked with some concern, his chin resting on his hand.

"Not enough to warrant an increase in manpower." The analyst replied, already bringing up several images of the new units, "Like the 501st, they are much more specialised to small unit operations; ambushes, hit and runs, and movement by foot."

"Heavy armour?" Jones again questioned not liking how the Republic had reorganised itself.

"Mostly as replacements for the 7th Sky Corp units." Natalia replied assuredly.

"Then where does this pose an advantage to us?" Jones demanded.

"With Jedi Plo-Koon, Skywalker, and Tano removed from the battlefields, and Padawan Erbium side-lined, the Republic has lost the operational experience it needs to repel our advances." The analyst replied with confidence, "After all that is where we are winning the conflict. Tactically, our men are about level with the clone units, strategically Polit has ensured we remain level with the Republic in terms of resources. Operationally, however, we are dominating the Republic and with this restructuring, it is sure to remain that way."

"Very good." Jones congratulated, recognising the military experience shining through the senior analyst. "Ahmet, politically?"

"After the discovery of our Coruscant cell, and the assassination of Huunava the Senate's opinion remains against us, however with the coming broadcast by the rodian reporter Hanzi Gulak, I have a feeling it will sway in our favour, or at least certainly against Admiral Sokar." The analyst replied with a bored tone, giving his moustache a slight stroke as he stared at the holo-projector. "As for the Confederacy, they aren't too fussed either way what happens to us, but again, I suspect the situation to change after the broadcast."

"Straight to the point as always, Ahmet." Jones noted, with a small nod, "Any further noise from HADES?"

"Not after the First Minister completely shut her down a few weeks ago, although I have been hearing rumours of a project being discreetly activated, however I have not seen anything of significance to suggest that to be true."

"When it comes to HADES, Ahmet, you can never be too certain." Jones groaned, absently rubbing his left forearm. "Any news on the rebuilding of the Senate cell?"

"It is taking its time, sir." The youngest of the analysts announced, still not quite comfortable standing near to the most dangerous man in the UNSC. "The agents rushed in to take over have been able to pull most of our low-level informants back under our fold, with some being a little wearier of spilling secrets after what happened to 'Charlie'. However, we have occurred significant losses at the higher ends with a lot of senators and officers no longer being as loosed tongue as they once were."