Part 2

Josephine walked slowly down the dock towards the outside of town's edge. She contemplated the scenery as she walked, enjoying the colors of the leaves changing. It would get cold soon, she thought to herself, making a mental note to ensure she washed her coat before it got too cold.

Swinging the gate into the courtyard of the small mansion, Josephine glanced back to see the spirit following her.

"Where am I? What am I?" The spirit whispered.

"What is your name?" Josephine asked, looking over the spirit. A mousy looking girl, maybe in her late teens. A scared look crossing the girl's face.

"Amelia." The girl whispered meekly.

"What is your full name, my dear?" Josephine asked, looking at the girl intensely.

"Amelia Rose Applegate." Amelia whispered.

Josephine regarded the girl. The name was one that her mother had always said would be the answer to her dreams. Josephine really doubted this fact and brushed it off as a coincidence.

"That's a beautiful name, Amelia. How old are you?" Josephine sat on a bench under cedar tree in the center of the courtyard.

"Its my birthday, I just turned 17 years old." Amelia said, shyly, sitting next to Josephine, "Where am I?"

"Such a young age, my darling. What day do you think it is?" Josephine asked, knowing it was no longer Amelia's birthday. The feeling that a spirit was coming had been strong for the last few days.

"The third of September, isn't it? Today is my birthday and it was a pretty morning." Amelia rambled.

Josephine sat back; this spirit had taken her time to get here. It was already the twenty-first of September. Josephine regarded the girl with curiosity. How had it taken so long to get here for this spirit? What happened?

"My dear, it is the twenty-first of September now. What is the last thing you remember?" Josephine asked after a moment of silence.

"I remember Mama bringing the cake out into the backyard. We were by the lake for my birthday dinner, I've always loved the lake. There was a noise from the barn around the corner of the house, Papa went to check it. He yelled and then......then...." Amelia began rocking back and forth, unable to continue.

Josephine recognized the pained look on her face. Amelia wasn't the first one to not remember what happened right away. Josephine gave her a minute to compose herself.

"What happened, darling?" Josephine prodded.

Amelia looked at Josephine, pleading with her eyes. Her face was pleading not to continue. Josephine gave her an encouraging smile.