Part 10

Concerning because of the proximity of the water. Were-lions were known for their hatred of water. They would only ever be caught by the water if it were desperate times or a serious matter in which the only choice was to be by the water.

As Amelia's mother came into view, there was a noise from beyond her. Amelia's father perked up and gestured to her mother to continue. A quick, whispered conversation was shared between the two of them and Amelia's mother set the cake down. She gathered the younger children and herded them to the house. Amelia did not follow her mother, but instead watched her father round the corner of the house. A yell was heard from out of sight and Josephine knew from Amelia's story that the Hybrids must have ambushed her father.

Suddenly, Josephine was surrounded by the sounds of the pond and Amelia breathing heavily in a fetal position on the ground. Josephine knelt next to the girl and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Amelia hugged her tightly and sobbed into her neck. Josephine stroked her back.

"Tell me another good memory, my dear." She whispered in Amelia's ear.

"The day that my brothers were born. It was February and I had been home sick for a week from school. Mama was doing her best to help me but I didn't want her to get sick so I wouldn't let her in my room. I was finally feeling better and even though I didn't let Mama near me at all since she was pregnant, she started getting stomach cramps.

"It started the same way as my sickness, I felt so guilty. I told Mama and Papa to punish me for getting Mama sick and Mama started laughing so hard I thought she would puke. Papa explained that this was not Mama getting what I had, but was getting ready to have my brothers. We didn't know that they were boys yet, but I had secretly hoped they were so I could have brothers and not some annoying sister like Anna.

"Mama and Papa called Aunt Cecilia to come watch Anna and I while they went to the hospital and even though I wasn't completely over my sickness yet they let me babysit for the first time. Papa told me if I did a good job watching Anna, that I would get a wish come true. He was right. I got Caleb and Anthony. They were born February twenty-ninth." Amelia immediately recited as if she had been prepared.

"That is wonderful. You are such a good big sister." Josephine encouraged, giving what she had hoped was an encouraging smile.

Amelia nodded and started to cry. Josephine held her until suddenly Amelia stood with determination. Josephine recognized it and stood with her, again her hands going to the side of Amelia's mousy face. Josephine took a deep and Amelia followed suite. After another nod, Josephine pulled the memory from Amelia's mind.

After a repeat of the last time, they got to the yelling of Amelia's father from the front of the house and this time they didn't end up back in the pond.

Josephine watched alive Amelia with a scared, but determined look on her face, stomp towards the front of the house. They went past the back gardens and there was another yell, this time from another unidentified body. Memory Amelia paused and looked back, Josephine tried to follow her line of sight, but there was nothing there. Memory Amelia turned back to find her father and ran to the front of the house.