Part 3

"Papa yelled and they came around the corner. They-they had these weird faces. It was like their skin was too tight on their face. Teeth, teeth were all you saw. Their eyes were all purple and black. Why did they look that way? What were they?" Amelia finished.

Josephine looked at the girl and contemplated what to say to her. The creatures that attacked her sounded like that of the Hybrids. Josephine wasn't sure exactly what branch of the Hybrids yet; they would discover that soon enough. Too many kinds to tell the girl right away.

"Amelia, I need you to think, did any of your family get hurt?" Josephine asked, trying to figure out if she was about to get more spirits rushing towards her.

"Mama got the others inside, but I ran to help Papa. He had fallen, so fast, like he tripped over thin air. I was almost to Papa when they got to me." Amelia answered quietly, not quite looking at Josephine.

"So, they didn't get your family?" Josephine confirmed.

"No, it was like they came for me. Like they knew right when to come." Amelia whispered.

"You said purple eyes?" Josephine asked.

"Yes." Her voice was a small squeak, fear dripping from the one syllable that escaped her mouth.

Josephine's mind raced. There had been talk of a band of extremist Hybrids performing a ceremony to become the strongest branch of all Hybrids. She needed to talk to the leader of the coven right away to confirm her racing thoughts. She could not let this sweet girl turn into one these creatures.

"I'm going to go make a quick call. If you go around the back of the house, there is a pond with some fish a little way down. I'll meet you there, darling." Josephine said, gesturing to the pathway that led to the side of the mansion.

Amelia nodded and seemed to drift rather than walk along the path. Josephine waited until she was out of sight to make the phone call to the elder.

"Elder Swan, the extremist Hybrid ceremony was successful. I have the sacrifice in spirit with me. I can't let her become one of them." Josephine said into the speaker of the phone.

"We are not here to interfere with fate. We are here to do our duties. You cannot stop her; her future is dependent upon our not interfering. Kate gave a prophecy today that states as such. Do your duty and help her along the way." Elder Swan stated before Josephine could go into further details.

Josephine pondered that for a minute before answering, "Yes, Elder. Thank you."

Josephine heard the Elder hang up the phone before she lowered the phone. Josephine had feared the Elder would say something along those lines to her. She had hoped there would be a loop hole to save the girl from her fate. She made a mental note to ask Kate about the prophecy when she was finished.

Josephine found Amelia's spirit resting on a rock, the sun basking the young girl's form with warm sunlight. Amelia was watching the fish in the pond swim lazily by her. Amelia looked up as Josephine approached.