I Don't talk to strangers

It was late evening by the time Abby got home, she found her mother washing dishes by the sink, and immediately she realized that her mother had been crying.

"Is something wrong mom?" She asked, and dropped her backpack on the floor to walked over to the sink.

"No." Her mother said, in a broken voice.

Wrapping her arms around her mother, she kissed her cheeks and said, "I love you mom."

"I know, I love you too." Her mother responded, "you missed dinner, where where you?"

"Sorry mom, I was at the cafe with Clary and forgot about the time." Abby responded apologetically.

"Are you hungry?" Her mother said, "there plenty of left overs, I can fix you a plate."

"Thank you, but I'm not hungry," Abby told her, then she grabbed her backpack and walked away, "don't worry about me, I'm going upstairs to study, if I get hungry I know where to look for food!" She threw over her shoulders, as she climbed the stairs two at a time.

*************
It was a beautiful sun shining day, with a promise of spring in the air. The night before Steven tried but could not sleep, because thoughts of her haunted him. Grabbing his year book from under his bed, he searched the many pages for her picture.

When he found her, he swore under his breath, the girl was a huge mess, he thought, big thick, red rimmed glasses, braided hair and she was wearing a polka dotted pink and yellow dress. She was hideous looking and he wondered why he had wasted his precious time looking for her picture. When he had finally fallen asleep at four in the morning, he dreamt about her.

The next day his iPhone that was laying on top of his nightstand was ringing loudly,  "Damn!" Steven cursed, and grabbed it, "What!"

"Why are you yelling?" Christina asked, in a soft tone of voice, "don't tell me you're still sleeping Steven, we are suppose to meet Jack and Laura at the burger joint for lunch!"

"Go without me!" Steven said, annoyed that his sleep was interrupted. Turning the ringer off his iPhone, he then threw it on the floor and closed his eyes.

It was well after three o clock when he next awoke, and had jumped out of bed to head straight for the shower. He barely slept all night because images of her haunted him in his sleep. Who is that girl, he thought, that had this much power over him.

He dressed, grabbed his keys and left his room, his mother looked at him suspiciously, as he entered the kitchen.

"Steven do you have a hangover again?" There was a trace of concern in his mother's voice. Steven ignored her question, opened the refrigerator, and grabbed the bottle of orange juice. "I asked you a question!"

Bringing the bottle to his lips, Steven drank a good amount of orange juice before placing it back inside the refrigerator. "Stop asking me dumb questions!"

His mother watched him put his shoes on and exit the house, she let out a long, harsh breath and walked over to the kitchen window to peer outside. She witnessed with great interest as his current girlfriend pulled up to the curb, and jump out of her car. She looked very upset.

"Why are you ignoring me!" She yelled, as she walked around her car and stood in front of Steven, "I've been calling you all day!"

"Yeah well stop calling me!" Steven yelled back at her, "you are annoying!"

Christina's eyes filled with tears, "Why are you being so mean to me, I don't deserve this kind of treatment from you!"

"Look," Steven's voice softened, "I need to be somewhere and I'm already late, please go home!"