Graduation

Gossip shot like wildfire across the campus and the school was buzzing with the news that Abby was getting married to Jeff.

"How the hell did everyone find out!" Claire said angrily, and then glanced accursedly at Jeff and raised an eye brow.

"I swear I said nothing!" Jeff said firmly. "It was probably the jewelers daughter who was there when I bought the ring!"

"That's fine I'm not worried," Abby announced, "they were going to find out sooner or later."

Grabbing her hand, Claire laughed, "It's a beautiful ring Abby, I would have dumped Anthony just to marry Jeff and get a ring like that!" All three laughed at Claire's funny words, then she asked in a serious tone of voice, "Is your mother coming to the graduation Abby?"

"Yes, she said she wouldn't miss it for the world, she will come as soon as she comes home from work!"

"Will she make it in time?"

Abby nodded, "She asked her boss if she can leave early."

"Come on girls let go inside and get our seats." Jeff took Abby's hand and pulled her gently next to him, as they walked inside the auditorium.

Everyone turned to stare at them, as they made it to their seats. Abby felt very uncomfortable and thought of how Steven would react when he found out terrified her, but maybe he wouldn't even care, maybe he would be relieved that he was rid of her for good. Choking back a sob, Abby sat in her seat and counted her blessings that Jeff stepped up to the plate to save her from more humiliation. He was her hero, and deserved her love and acceptance, and she swore to herself that she would do whatever she could to make him happy, it was the least she could do for him.

*************

As if it wasn't bad enough that Steven would have to endure looking at Jeff and Abby together at the graduation, Steven walked into the parking lot only to find out that the two of them were engaged to be married.

He couldn't believe it, he did not want to believe that his Abby, the girl who belonged to him had agreed to marry Jeff. She was much to young to be engaged, and he could not believe how Jeff had pulled that off.

How could Abby love Jeff when only a short time ago she vowed to love him for the rest of her life, Steven could not believe that she could so easily stop loving him after all that they had shared together. He wanted answers and he was going to get them today.

Walking into the school, Steven ignored all the attention his appearance was getting and he headed straight to the auditorium, but to his luck, Abby pushed open the door and was walking towards him.

Abby stopped in her tracks when she saw him, she was headed to the bathroom and did not expect to see Steven. Claire walked by her side for emotional support.

Steven hurriedly walked up to them and looked at Claire, "Can we have some privacy please."

Claire nodded and walked over to the end of the hallway and watched as Steven grabbed Abby by the arm and gently pulled her around the corner of the hallway.

"Abby." Was all he was able to say when she looked up at him with her questioning gaze.

"What do you want Steven?" She asked coldly, afraid that if she didn't act angry at him she would break down and throw herself on him.

"Is it true that you are engaged to Jeff?" His voice sounded thick with emotion. She nodded and Steven raised her hand and the huge diamond flashed before him. She had removed the ruby ring he had given her. It felt as if a thousand knifes pierced his heart, "why Abby?"