Obsessed

Wednesday flew at a fast pace, she avoided bumping into Jeff and Claire, walking to class from different directions than usual and keeping her head lowered. She didn't see Steven anywhere in school today and she wondered if he was well. At the end of the school day, she went into the library to help the librarian.

There were many books to put away and also many to be checked out, it seemed like the line was endless. Her mind was preoccupied with thoughts of him, and she didn't see or hear when Jeff called her name.

"Abby!"

Abby's eyes lifted to meet Jeff's and she blushed, "Jeff." She nodded and looked away. She scanned his books and handed them back to him, but she did not look at him.

He let out a harsh sigh and stepped to the side, "I'll wait for you to finish!" He told her.

Abby ignored him and continued to scan the rest of the books. By the time she was done the librarian shut the lights off and kicked everyone out of the library.

Abby grabbed her backpack and exited, Jeff followed behind her, "Are you trying to avoid me?"

Stopping in her tracks, Abby turned around to face him, "What do you want Jeff!" She asked him, even though she knew exactly what he wanted.

"I want an answer Damn it," he told her, "I deserve an answer!"

"An answer to what?"

"You know exactly what!"

"No I do not," she replied, "what do you need to know?"

"I told you that I love you and you have not given me a response to that!" He explained, pain was evident in his green eyes, as he waited patiently for her to speak.

"And I explained to you that I do love you but not in the same way!"

"Is it someone else?"

"No of course not!"

"Then why?"

Wrapping her arms around him, Abby said, "please don't."

Immediately Jeff wrapped his arms around her, squeezed her tightly in his arms and whispered. "I can't stand the thought of you loving someone else!"

Abby pulled away from him, and walked away, "I don't love anyone else, I am not ready to have a relationship, I have other things going on with my life now."

They walked out of the school building together and proceeded to go down the stairs when someone called out.

"You took long enough!"

Looking to her left, Abby saw Steven coming towards her, "I was helping the librarian."

Steven threw an aggressive look at Jeff, but Jeff threw one right back at him.

"Come on then," Steven said, and reached for her arm, "I'll drive us to the library."

"Hold on a second!" Jeff's tone of voice sparked anger, "Abby might not want to go with you!"

Rolling her eyes, Abby pulled her arm out of Stevens grip and said, "Both of you stop it, you're acting like little children!"

She walked away then and Steven followed after her, but not before he threw a stern look at Jeff who stared at the both of them in disbelief. He wanted to smash his fists into Stevens face, but knew that Abby would never forgive him and that was the only reason that he stood grounded in the same spot until they disappeared from his view.

*************

"You didn't have to be so cruel!" Abby snapped, "Jeff is my friend!"

Steven couldn't help but say, "Friend?" He then opened the door to his car and jumped in, and waited for her to do the same, "he looked more like a vulture to me!"