It Not As It Seems

Jeff drove them to school and Abby was careful not to sit in the front seat, she was in the back seat trying very hard not to glance at the review mirror, because the one time she did he was staring right at her. Poor Claire, Abby thought, she has no idea what is going on.

"I can't wait for the dance," Claire was saying, "Abby who are you going to ask to the dance?"

"Im not sure I'm going, but if I decide to go Im going stag," Abby said, "I don't want a date."

Jeff looked in the review mirror again, and Abby quickly looked away. "What should we wear, Claire asked excitedly, "I heard it's going to be a fancy event! Wanna go shopping for something new?"

"Sure why not." Abby responded, grateful that they had reached the parking lot and she could escape Jeff's torturous glare.

She jumped out of the car as soon as Jeff parked, "Thanks for the ride!" She called out and walked swiftly away before anyone had the chance to respond.

Rushing into the school building, Abby went straight to her locker. She opened it and threw her backpack in there and hurriedly grabbed only the books she needed for her two next classes.

"Can I talk to you?" Her knees almost turned to jelly.

She slammed her locker door shut and whipped around, "What do you want!"

Stevens eyes slowly took on her appearance, from the two braids on top of her head and all the way down to her yellow gym shoes, when his eyes returned slowly up again, he asked, "I need you to help me study for my calculus test."

Abby brushed past him and threw over her shoulders, "No!"

Of course he followed behind her and begged, "Please."

"I said no now go away!" 

He grabbed her by the waist, turned her around and gently pushed her against someone's else's locker, "Hear me out please." He told her, and braced both his arms on the locker trapping her inside.

His male scent made Abby dizzy, she was in extreme danger of falling in love with him and that angered her, "Let me go!" She yelled and tried to break free of her prison.

"Not until you hear me out!" He told her huskily.

Many students walked by and threw curious glances at them, but Abby was too busy trying to free herself to care. It was when the first bell rang that she lashed out, "Let . Me....Go!"

"Are you going to help me study for calculus?" He asked her, and his deep blue eyes that looked down at her glistened with expectation.

For a moment, Abby was hypnotized by him, but the second bell broke the spell and she screamed "Yes, ok please let me go I can't be late again!" She broke free of his hold, ran all the way to class.

Abby knew she wasn't going to be able to concentrate in any of her classes on this day, his image was stamped on her mind and her heart hammered against her chest at the thought of him.

Oh what was she going to do, she wondered, how was she going to be able to tutor him when being near him drove her mad.

****************
Steven stared after her as she ran away, he didn't know what to feel, she was slowly becoming a drug in his veins and he was left confused for the first time in his life.

Raking his fingers through his thick mane of raven hair, Steven proceeded to go to his class. She was a hard cookie to break, he thought, he was surprised she had finally said yes to tutoring him, but he would now have to convince her to study him at her house or at the public library. He didn't want to study in school where everyone could see him with her. He didn't want anyone laughing at him for hanging out with the clown girl.