Chapter 2

The desire to sleep overcame me. I would have liked to take advantage of the drive home to get to know Marcia Clark better, not only for the purpose of knowing what kind of lawyer I was dealing with, but also because she seemed to be a highly intelligent and interesting woman.

I was sure she was the best at what she did, and she proved it to me in a short period of time by asking me questions I would never have imagined. There was no doubt that she would have made a great criminal, if she had chosen to be one, but no, she was the opposite of what I had become, and far from intimidating me, she intrigued me.

Because I was so tired, it didn't take me a minute to fall into a deep sleep after giving my address to her. Even though the car windows were slightly open, the smell of cigarettes and a perfume of a brand I didn't know was what the brown-haired woman smelled like, and it was addictive.

After what seemed like a second, I felt Marcia carefully move me a little, "we're here," she whispered, as if she intended to lull me even more rather than wake me up, for it was a gentle touch.

I opened my eyes, at that instant I noticed that the blazer she was wearing was covering me, "oh, thank you," I said shyly, I subsequently took it off and handed it back to her, "and thank you for coming to drop me off."

She merely nodded with a half smile and I opened the car door and got out of there. I was a little surprised when I watched as Marcia got out and with hurried steps, walked alongside me.

"Let me walk you," that sounded more like a command than a request, so I had no choice but to start walking for her to follow me.

"Do you want something to drink? I got water, juice, uhhm, you're out of luck, I had the last of the sodas I bought about a fortnight ago," I giggled, I couldn't get her to mimic my action, as she remained serious at all times.

"No, I have to get back, thanks," her eyes were lively, though she wasn't smiling so much, those brown eyes somehow refused to play along with the rest of her countenance. They were friendly, and those beautiful brown irises would never stop me from seeing them, and I think she noticed, because I lost myself in them for a moment, "anyway, please rest, we'll be in touch."

I shook my head and said nothing more, just opened the door to my place and didn't even take the time to change, although my clothes were comfortable enough.

I lay down on my bed and slept for maybe ten hours straight, when I woke up it was already too late at night and as expected I had a voracious hunger, so I cooked myself something heavy but at the same time fast.

I loved being able to eat huge amounts of food, food that I liked, without anyone judging me, it was what I deserved, after all. I deserved to be filled with good food, the pleasure of enjoying the little things, I deserved love.

The next few days that passed were somewhat strange, as much as I tried to distract my mind, the nights always ended up being the same way, where I would cry myself to sleep and wake up in a terrible state, it was a matter of three days in a row where I would show up to work with red eyes and a dejected look on my face for people to notice, a co-worker asked me what was wrong, to which I replied: "It's just one of those days," and he needed no further explanation, since he knew about my mother, but that was obviously not the reason why I was extremely tormented.

It was my own mind, which stopped constantly telling me that everything would be fine and started to reiterate... no, it started to torment me that the questions I would be asked would be more complex than I could ever imagine, I wouldn't know how to answer them, and as a last option I would have to plead guilty, and what would happen next? I knew I had a great lawyer with an incredible track record by my side, that she would have to bring out her best to defend me, but it was her against people with power and money who would do anything to see me fall, because at the time they managed to save that man from thousands of accusations, I was sure they would be loyal to him even after his death... besides, I could deduce that his daughter must be paying them disgusting amounts of money to obtain "justice".