Chapter 3

I said goodbye to the seventh customer of the day, who needed to refill her daughter's inhaler. That little girl was hanging around the place and ended up convincing her mother to buy her a chocolate.

The work phone rang and before I knew it, Stefan, my coworker, was running like the roadrunner to answer it.

Stefan was a guy way taller than me, his hair was black, a little wavy and long down to his cheekbones, despite wearing a white dressing gown for the three days a week I saw him, I have had the opportunity to go out with him on multiple occasions and I must say his dressing style was exceptional.

He turned out to become my best friend since day one, as we were together through thick and thin. He had long ago become the only thing I had in this world.

"Yes, (Y/N) is right here with me," he said, leaning back a little in the swivel chair, I couldn't understand how he didn't fall over. He handed me the phone, "it's Marcia Clark."

I opened my eyes in surprise, what could she want? I hoped it wasn't any bad news, and that she just wanted to talk to me because she missed me... wow, that would be a dream come true.

It was Friday again and this week was a little better, as I decided that I wasn't going to go out of my way for this inconvenience. I would go to work as usual and after finishing my day, I would decide to make the rest of my day fantastic. This was going to go on for a long time and if I kept going downhill like I was doing, I wasn't going to get through it in the best way.

"Hel..."

"I'll expect you on Monday, seven o'clock in the morning, you better be there," she interrupted me, her tone was so tense it sounded like she was even about to break something, I could imagine a vein popping out of her forehead. This couldn't be good, she seemed upset but not with the world or her job, she seemed upset with me.

"Wow, what the fuck? At that hour?" I exclaimed, laughing, trying to lighten the situation a bit. The black haired guy in front of me kept looking at me and formulating with his lips, asking what was going on, that made me even more nervous.

"You better watch your language, have a good attitude, and be grateful I'm taking the time to help you," she snapped, my jaw practically dropping to the floor at such a response. The first thing that came to my mind was that she knew, she knew everything, she had figured it out.

"I'm sorry, is there something wrong? Are you mad at me?" I bit my lip, and it was obvious what the answer was. She couldn't just call and tell me that. I was keeping things from her, my biggest fear was that she would find out all of them. Maybe it was a triviality, and if I got too scared, I was going to give myself away.

"Oh, stop playing innocent, you better cooperate," she didn't say anything else, then she hung up the phone.

"Fucking bitch," I grumbled.

I hated that she didn't tell me right then and there what had happened, no, of course not, she had to call me in the middle of work and torment me like that, ruining the rest of my day and my weekend.

"She came here a week ago and asked about you, then started asking me what food you liked," Stefan was behind me, using a suggestive tone, "who is she? A new woman in your life? How many has it been this year? A hundred? Did you fight with her?"

I loved that guy very much, not only because he offered to work twice as hard to give me a rest, but because we had been working together for years. He always worked three days a week, and on the two days I didn't see him, I shared my day with a girl who was also nice. I loved my work, the atmosphere was pleasant and even my boss was more like a friend, so understanding and willing for us to enjoy this job.