Chapter 12

It was a lively journey to what was to be known as the children's father's house. The whole way was replete with music that was to the liking of all of us, or just one or two of us. It was true that this day was for the boys, with the purpose of getting them out of the routine and having fun, however, this was a great help both to me and to the woman next to me, who was singing "Fernando" by ABBA whilst parallel parking to two cars on the pavement.

She, who was working hard every day in every aspect of her life, deserved to enjoy getting out of the routine of work and home. I, who had a twisted conscience, nerves constantly on edge and a childhood devoid of memorable experiences, also felt wonderful, my six-year-old self could say the same.

"Are you sure you have everything you need?" Marcia reiterated, glancing at the backpacks resting on each of the children's laps.

"Yes," they said in unison, all too sure.

The two boys got out of the car, then the older woman followed them, and they headed for the front door of the house. It wasn't more than thirty seconds before Marcia's ex-husband came out to cheerfully greet his children. After greeting Marcia, he embraced them both with indescribable warmth as a smile spread across his face. I might have thought Gordon was a jerk who wanted to take away my beloved's right to live with her children solely because of a job situation that was out of her hands, but the affection he felt for Travis and Kyle was palpable, and it convinced me that he was an incredible father.

"Oh, my boys, I was beginning to forget your faces, what's new?" Exclaimed the man, whose name I understood was Gordon.

"Today we went with mommy and (Y/N) to Go Karts World, and it was awesome," recounted the youngest boy.

"Really, when will I be lucky enough to meet the famous (Y/N)?" He asked, and from the way he referred to me, I knew the boys had told him about me before. As if the fact that both boys said I was family hadn't made me happy enough, I felt again that I was on the verge of breaking down in tears.

"Oh, look at the car window!" Travis pointed in my direction, and Marcia possessed the same look of terror in her eyes as me, or rather, that what-the-fuck-have-you-done expression. The last thing I wanted was to have to go and exchange words with him.

I got out of the car and as confidently as I could and walked in the direction of where everyone was standing, "nice to meet you, Mr. Clark. Your children have told me a lot about you," I extended my hand to him, hoping for a positive or at least polite reaction.

"I know who you are. When my kids told me your name, I expected it to be someone else and not..."

"Gordon," Marcia interrupted him, pointing to her children with her eyes, who were watching the interaction animatedly, with faith that it would be favorable.

"... not the same person who used to work at the pharmacy. The man who used to be your boss is a friend of mine," he completed the sentence in a completely different way than I knew he was going to at first. However, that disapproving expression remained on his face, I didn't care, it was better than him talking in front of the children about the situation I was in.

"Oh yes, Marco is a great man. What a great coincidence," I humored him. I couldn't say anything else, I was painfully eager for this awkward encounter to end, I needed to hug the woman next to me.

"Kids, can you go in there? Put on one of the movies I rented for you. I need to talk to your mother, and meet this (Y/N)," Gordon ordered the children.