Chapter 6

The first thing that happened when I arrived at work on Wednesday was that Stefan came to me and didn't ask me, he ordered me to tell him how it all went. I did it from start to finish, without skipping a single detail, because I really needed to talk about my feelings to someone once in a while, and there was nothing more comforting than being able to get excited together with another person about a silly crush you have.

"Not that I'm glad poor Travis bent his ankle, but damn, you wouldn't have gotten to know that private part of her if it weren't for that," he concluded, as I finished telling him about how brave Marcia was to work so hard, and balance that with time for her kids, not to mention the very big case she'd been handling until just last year.

I didn't understand how fanaticism blinded some people. To begin with, a person as nefarious as O.J. Simpson was not worthy of admiration even for his work, yet there were people who did. Thanks to his fans who couldn't accept that no matter how good a player he was, he had committed a crime, the death of an innocent woman didn't get the justice it deserved. I could bet everything I had that if one person had killed him for revenge, that person would go to jail in the blink of an eye.

It was outrageous how history was repeating itself and I was living it. Peter Westerholt was a great businessman, he was too successful, he was named executive of the year three years in a row, he left his legacy in the market and he had earned the admiration of many. He was a lousy man, who committed so many abuses, so many crimes and nobody lifted a finger, nobody was shocked. I killed him because nobody seemed to care about all the damage he did and here we are, people seemed very concerned about finding the culprit. What hurt me the most was that this system had no intention of changing, maybe we would get to 2022 and things like this would continue to happen, unless people knew that positions or possessions didn't define anyone. A criminal was a criminal and an innocent was an innocent. Period.

"Yes, she seems very lonely," I stated, "she likes to keep that reserved countenance but there are times when she needs to be heard, which makes her overshare in some way."

The first time I met her, she barely told me whether she was married or not. Yesterday I only offered her the observation that her nanny was a bit of a lazy person, and she told me a very important point, she had to put up with it because her day to day life consisted of working too much and just having somebody who could cook, helped her a lot.

"I can imagine. You should try asking her more about her life, she already showed that sometimes she longs so much to be heard that it would only take that one question for her to open up to you," he suggested. This guy was too smart.

"You're right, I promise I'll try to be more present for her," I agreed.

The next four hours were about ordering some incoming medicines, distributing others, attending to some customers, and cleaning the place so that it always looked spotless. My boss was mostly in his office, doing boss stuff, and whenever he could, he came out to check on us. For that reason, my first hours of work went unnoticed, it was when it started to be four o'clock in the afternoon when I just wanted to go home and procrastinate.

The phone rang around ten to five, I let Stefan answer it because I didn't think it was important. It was when I saw his mischievous grin that I knew who it was, "of course, Miss Clark, (Y/N) will be more than happy to hear from you".

Before he could say anything else stupid, I snatched the phone from him, making him laugh. I thought he would leave me alone with the older woman but he refused to do so, very curious about the reason for the call. I was beginning to forget that it might be about the case, about some complication that had arisen, I was beginning to forget that she was my lawyer, instead, I believed in my heart that a more intimate relationship was taking place.