Chapter 11

Go Kart World was filled with people. No surprise given that it was almost midday on a Saturday. There were teenagers in groups with a drink in hand, and children pulling their tutors by the hand to guide them to a specific place.

No matter how grown up I was —or thought I was— I felt excited to see all the amenities this place had to offer. Very few times in my life had I had unique experiences like this, so now was the time to recover them, even a little, and who better than with the woman I loved so much and her adorable children, whose faces were as full of excitement as mine.

"Let's go to Go Karts first! Mom, can I drive?" Travis exclaimed, pointing to the road that had the little cars speeding down it.

I was ready to rebut once she completely refused, however, she nodded, "sure, but (Y/N) will accompany you at all times."

Marcia laughed at my surprise, and winked at me, intending to signal non-verbally that she was willing to be more permissive with her son when it came to new experiences. Even the slightest facial gesture was worthy of admiration, whether it was the various ways she smiled, that habit of frowning when she was concentrating, or winking. My, the latter always provoked a different kind of reaction in me.

"Okay, as much as I like being a pimp, I have to ask you to drive at a safe speed and put on your seatbelt," I said to Travis once I was in the passenger seat of the little car. It was decorated like one of those race cars, perfect for a child to imagine driving a car like the ones that usually appear on those big highways.

"I know," he replied in the same tone he speaks to his mother, the tone he uses to reassure her that he was aware of the precautions he should take.

I noticed Marcia, who was in the pair's car, sitting in the driver's seat wearing a helmet that looked funny on her, but also adorable. Kyle was in the passenger seat protesting and struggling in vain to get rid of his helmet, but stopped once the brown-haired woman explained that he had to wear it if he wanted to get in the car.

"We're going to kick both your asses," Marcia warned us, causing me to gasp in surprise. I didn't have to tell her out loud what I was thinking, somehow she knew. Me appreciating her beautiful face, maybe looking at her with a notorious adoration and her saying that? I was expecting something more romantic.

However, it was also these moments that I lived for. It didn't all have to be kisses and cheesiness, it could also be teasing and dare I say arguments, which might take place at some point, though I hoped to avoid them at all costs. Whatever made up this thing we had was what, at the end of the day, contributed to its strengthening. I loved Marcia Clark and all that she entailed, including of course all the wonderful things that being around her made me feel. It was like being surrounded by a beautiful light of restorative energy.

"Anything to make you sleep at night, Clark!" It was her turn to react in surprise when I called her by her last name, and it was my turn to laugh.

When we were cleared to start the vehicles, I felt a sudden tingle of nerves in my stomach as Travis didn't hesitate and sped forward, ignoring my request from earlier. That fear I was feeling was mitigated by hearing him laugh and constantly exclaim every time he passed someone else, feeling proud. It was four laps of that, which I also enjoyed even if I wasn't behind the wheel, until we stopped again at the starting point.

"Wow! Did you see me? That was awesome!" Travis exclaimed when we returned the helmets.

"I saw you, it was indeed awesome! You kicked everyone's ass!" I gave him a fist which he reciprocated and subsequently, we stood around for a while until Marcia appeared. She was going at a relatively cautious speed, not too dangerous and fast enough to keep Kyle from getting bored.