the night before christmas.

the faint keys of a piano filled the room, a song from the playlist mark had chosen for the night.

everytime i close my eyes
그날이 생각날 때면
everytime i close my eyes
다시 또 설레이곤 해

my mind wanders back to four years ago, a night that would forever be engraved in my mind. a reminder of what we were and what we are now.

언제나 내 맘 속에 그날의 그 순간들은
여전히 내 맘 속에 고스란히 기억될

it was a cold night, me and mark had stayed in with plans of hot cocoa and romcoms in mind, instead we opted to reading books. the silent scratches of pencil against paper, the flips of yellowed pages and the crackle of wood burning in the fireplace. it was a calm night, opposed to the snow falling hard outside.

" neul, is it okay if i play the guitar ? ", mark's voice broke through the silence. a smile makes its way onto my face, " of course ". i loved it when mark played the guitar. it was like being comforted by the soft strums and his voice that makes you all warm and loved, like a hug.

he strummed the brown guitar that he's had with him throughout his college. mark lee with his round glasses and the sweetest voice had the power of making anyone falling in love with him. yet, mark was in love with haneul. seong haneul that would soon be his, for the rest of life.

" we will stay like this forevermore, we will not part ways ", tears prick the corner of my eyes. this song meant so much to both of us. we had come across this song while going through mr. lee's cd collection during high school.

" because i love you ? ", haneul had asked, placing the cd into the old cd player that sat by the tv. mr. lee had smiled, a glint in his eyes as he told the story of him proposing to his wife by playing this song. he then pulled his wife to her feet, a hand on her waist as they danced to the song. smiles plastered on their faces as they stared at each other lovingly. " when i propose i'm gonna sing this too ! ", mark's words earned laughter from his parents.

" because i only love you ". the last notes of the song echoed as mark got down on one knee, hand pulling out a box from his pocket. i couldn't stop the tears from running down my face.

" seong haneul, there's so many beautiful things about you i don't know where to start. from your smile that could light up the world, your hands that fly everywhere when you're nervous, your eyes that hold all the stars in the sky, even your habit of leaving pizza crusts just so i can eat them. you're the sky that holds all the stars and i want to look at you forever and find out more about all the things that make you, you. haneul, my love would you be my wife ? ".

the memories of you with me
i'll never forget
everytime i close my eyes

loud squeals broke my thoughts, bringing me back to the present. " don't worry bora, i've got you ". mark carried our daughter on his shoulders as she had a toothless grin plastered on her face. " mom look outside we made the biggest snowman ever ", she pulls me outside not giving me time to grab a coat. a snowman with sticks for hair stood on our yard, giving me a lopsided smile. bora stood proudly talking about her snowman and that it beats the rest in the neighbourhood.

" do you want to take a picture with it bora ? ", mark says, placing a coat on my shoulders and a quick kiss before showing bora poses to do with her snowman. snow falls all around us as my heart swells looking at my favourite people on earth. my mark, my bora, my family.

JAY'S NOTES 💭
the night before christmas is a continuation to snow, snow and more snow ! snow and christmas songs remind me of them... stop me before i write a whole book for them 😧

linking the playlist here again

also this is one of the longest chapters i've written for this book 😮‍💨