i'll let you go

the look in her eyes makes her feel so far away from me, the heavy sigh left my lips. i knew where she was, that mind of hers which wandered back. back to the past, to when all the things were just perfect. with their first love. 

" i think we should break up ", i say taking in a deep breath. the look in her eyes changes. a cloudy look passes her face. tears fill up almost immediately. " this is for the best, please. i know you still see them in me. i don't think i can hold your broken universe up anymore. i'm sorry, truly ". her hands reach out to hold mine, gripping it. her tears fall on our hands, head shaking as her lips are closed tightly, not wanting to break into sobs. 

i pull her in, hugging her tightly. she never let go of her past, the beautiful, enchanting past of hers that she never got to see how it'd end. she saw the haunting old past whenever our eyes lingered on each other longer. " i'm fine, don't mind me, i'm sorry ". the words that never grew old, the same repetitive words that fell out her mouth. i knew she looked for them in me. waiting, hopefully she'd find the glimpe of her old love. i'm just here for her to pass time in my arms, nothing more. a safe place that she hid in waiting for someone to rescue her. 

she's tried to forget about it. and yet it holds onto her, it's grip so tight leaving marks on her skin. she was forever reminded of it. so here i was, letting her go. with hope that she could find someone that didn't bring old glimpses and instead new smiles that were warm and real. i loved her, yet she was waiting for an old love in me. someone that would never come back.