Chapter 5

THE HEIRESS

Sleep came easy that night.

Did I sleep in that bed?

No.

But I slept nonetheless, and for once I felt safe.

Several knocks on the door awakened me early that morning, I counted four in my daze. Four knocks, loud enough to wake anyone.

I slowly sat, looking around the room. The space that was mine as long as I occupied it. But the question was, for how long? Was this place just a quick rest stop? Was it forever?

The door opened, and I looked over. The gown from last night still clung to my skin, the silver shining and glistening in the now bright daylight coming through my window. The shadows were gone, the darkness that I called my home would only return when the moon would.

The male that entered the room was just as tall as the Shadowsinger, maybe slightly taller. His hair was longer, oh right.

Cassian.

His eyes met mine, and they stayed there.
"What are you on the floor for?" He asked suddenly. I looked down, examining where I had seated myself. Before the fireplace. The semi-warm tiles brought me comfort, and I much preferred them over silk sheets. When I didn't answer his question, and audible sigh left the male's lips. Footsteps sounded, and my head immediately snapped up. He stood before me.

"C'mon." He held out his hand, "The tiles will do your wings no good." He told me.
I reluctantly took his hand, and he gracefully pulled me onto both feet. Holding onto both my arms as I stood before him, most likely to keep me steady.

As I looked to meet his eyes, I noticed his were elsewhere.

Your wings.

I nearly flinched at the sudden voice, and Cassian seemed to notice.

"What was that?" He asked, his voice gentle and soothing, but his face was contorted in six different shapes of worry.

I opened my mouth to speak, but what could I say?

Oh nothing, I hear voices every now and then.
Oh it's okay, just these voices that tell me nearly everything when I don't know.

"Were you looking at my wings?" I asked.
A smile formed on the male's face, and his posture relaxed before me. His own wings rustling slightly, if they could. The warmth on my arms disappeared, signaling he took his hands back. "I was." He told me.

"Rhys told me to see how you were holding up," he told me honestly, "considering the fact that you didn't come to dinner. Nor breakfast." He said.

My eyes widened, shit shit. Was it truly that late already?

Past noon.

I then closed my eyes, inhaling. That voice, it was like my own but deeper. A near hiss compared to my own.

Cassian cleared his throat, and I dared to look at him. "You can speak, uhm.." His eyes squinted ever so slightly.

Your name... Give him your name.

"Amaya." I told him, and he nodded in response. It seemed the Shadowsinger had not told anybody. Maybe in an attempt to give me a choice. To either keep it to myself, or to give it to others.

He helped me find my name. I would not keep it hidden.

"I want to show you something, Amaya. If I may." He held out his hand. "I can't do the thing Az does. So we'll have to walk." He informed.

Oh, a walk sounded just right.

So I took Cassian's hand with the whisper of a smile. And we walked.
He pointed to things about the hallway, complaining about Rhysand's sense of style. Complaining about the fact that Feyre hadn't dared to change this place. He told me this place was called the House of Wind. Azriel lived here, as did he and Nesta. He told me Nesta was his mate and Feyre's sister. The eldest.

Mate. The unbreakable bond between two souls. Equals in every way. Cauldron blessed.

We walked until we reached what he told me was the library. When we entered we were greeted by one of the priestesses I was told was named Clotho. She did not speak, I was informed. She wrote on notes.

"Clotho." Cassian greeted with the bow of his head. I stood beside the male, trying to copy his posture with however I could. Trying to hold my wings as high as he did, was a no go. But I could tuck them in, just slightly. I straightened my back, and held my chin high.

The scribble of a pencil sounded, and after a moment of silence Cassian nudged my shoulder. I looked down at the note.

My chest expanded as I read the words.

One of the many things my father had insisted on was that I knew how to read. Books brought me comfort when the darkness couldn't. From children novels to adult books.

Escaping from reality, every soul needs that.

Nesta and Gwyneth are not here. Take the girl to them, or to the Shadowsinger. No powers in here.

My eyes shot up to look at Clotho, before at Cassian. He looked equally as confused as I did.

"Of course. I was giving her a tour of the House." Cassian stated. Clotho merely nodded her head once, and that was that. Cassian lead me back out, but he stopped me halfway down the hallway. His hand around my wrist.

"Powers?" He asked, but my eyes were fixated on his hand. Around my wrist. His grip was tight. My eyes met his. A glare set in both our gazes.

A cool sensation creeped at my ankles, crawling up my legs. Seeping through the gown.

"What powers, Amaya?" Cassian repeated, his grip tightening slightly.

I inhaled sharply as the coolness pooled at my back, continuing until they spilled over my shoulders. Up my neck, to my ears.

Shadowsinger Shadowsinger Shadowsinger

The voice repeated it, again and again. What I now realized were shadows moved to my wrist, the one Cassian gripped tightly.

"Cassian."

Azriel

The male's eyes were fixated on the shadows moving towards the wrist he held, the color they turned to. White. White shadows. He let go of my wrist, taking a fair step back.

The shadows swirled around the area, it was cool, and smooth.

Only then did I turn, meeting the cobalt glow in the shadows of the hallway.

Azriel's eyes were fixated on Cassian, something darkened about him. The shadows swirled his ears, and his wings tucked themselves in tightly.

He was angry.

Only then did those hazel eyes meet mine, his shadows pulled back from him. And they reached for me instead.

The further they reached, the lighter they became.

Azriel was a Shadowsinger.

He was darkness, in and out.

Darkness brought me comfort.

I reached, and held out my hand. One of the many wisps landed and found its place on my palm. And all three of us watched it writhe and swirl as it turned white.

All of them.

Azriel's shadows were white.

"Are they—" Cassian cut himself off, stepping closer to examine them. "Glowing?"

A smile tugged its way on my face, watching as Azriel seemed equally as surprised.

Light.

Our eyes met, the cobalt on his chest flickering. Cassian's syphons did the same.

Light Light Light

"Moonlight." Azriel said, nearly breathlessly.

Not just any light.

Moonlight.