Chapter 27

THE SHADOWSINGER

We were mated now. She's mine, all mine. I was well aware to the fact that this was meant to be a mating bond for convenience. But despite that fact, I still tried to revel in the good of it as much as I could.

I hadn't allowed myself much over the centuries. Mor had been a mistake; I knew that now. Every other female I had ever laid a hand on.

Mistake.

Mistakes.

All of them.

Each one.

Now there she stood, sliding those leathers over her skin. For as long as I am be able to, I will enjoy her. The sight of her. Her scent—everything. I have no idea how long this will last, if she was truthful with her words.

Convenience.

Her wings tucked in tight as she turned to face me. Her hair still disheveled. I stepped up to her, my chest swelling with some form of pride as her scent hit me. Our scent.

"Allow me." I whispered to her.

Her eyes stayed locked on mine, even as my hands reached her face.

My scars didn't scare her. She had traced every single one with her fingers. Kissed each one. A feeling like that I would never be able to describe.

My hands ever so gently flattened out her hair, fixing the situation as best as I could. Her hands—to my surprise—found my waist. My hands cupped her face, holding her cheeks. Each of my thumbs tracing the shape of her cheekbone.

Her smile; so fucking gorgeous.

"I'll be late." She muttered to me. I merely hummed, leaning in only slightly. I wanted nothing more than to toss her back on that damned cot.

But I knew better.

She had plans to make with our High Lord.

"Azriel." She whispered in near desperation.

She said it. My name.

She said my damned name.

A smile tugged at my lips.

"I love that."

"Love what?" She asked.

"I love it when you say my name like that."

"Azriel. I have to go." She said, her lips now tugged up into a smile. Her hand placed against my chest.

I released a deep breath, nodding very slowly. She had to go. Rhysand would have my head if he found out it was me who got her to be late.

And if it wasn't Rhysand who would seal my fate, it would be Cassian. Or Amren, but I knew to avoid her most days.

"Better run, princess." I whispered.

Just as I released her face, her hands grabbed my own. She pulled me down, and her lips crashed against my own.

"Bye." She whispered.

Fuck. Fucking fuck.

She pulled away.

I needed a moment, just to recap what happened. But she was gone before I could ask. I watched the tips of her wings slip out the tent, on their way to go find Rhysand.

Last night was something. Though I had to shake it off. I had to meet the commander. Cassian.

We had plans to lay out, a war to prevent. Well—there wasn't much left to prevent. We just had to stall it, buy ourselves enough time to lay out defences. Buy enough time to really make that damned bond stick.