Chapter 15

THE HEIRESS

His name had always played a part in everything. He was my past. Everything about him, was who I used to be.

Thesion had been my lover so many years ago, multiple centuries even. He was my love, back then. My everything.

We fit well, we always had. We were the same, through and through.

He was my equal.

Those thin strings of equality, trying us together as one. The first night he bedded me, the first male I had loved in such a way.

But as it all snapped into place, we both hesitated. And we pulled away, distanced ourselves.

Before at last, I rejected our bond.

What hopes Thesion had of our connection, I had never known.

My mother found out soon after, as one of her then Privates was down with the heartbreak of a lost mating bond. It could kill a male, the pain of being rejected.

I had given Thesion a chance to become Private on the Royal Guard, and he had taken that chance with delight. But he worked for my mother's inner circle. He worked for the Queen, and nothing went past her.

Not even a lost mating bond amongst her men.

Shortly thereafter, my mind went blank. And there was my new life. A new me.

That poor girl trapped in a cell, broken and tortured for over two hundred years.

Her wings neglected, broken and beaten until they were too weak to be used.

That girl back at the Palace had been the Princess.

Princess Maurelle

Now here I sat, at the breakfast table surrounded by the Queen, my sisters, Thesion and many Privates from the Royal Guard.

Dressed in a tight corset that had most likely already bruised a couple ribs. My wings left unbothered. My dress hugging that now defined fake body given by the maidens here. I hated it.

Six months in the Night Court had given me an entirely different view of the world.

Training with Azriel became the very thing that made my days easy.

Cassian's stupid jokes and back and forth bickering with Azriel brought a smile to my face each morning without fail.

But my sisters sat in silence. My mother too, did not speak.

Thesion cleared his throat.

"I've gotten word from my-" he cut a look towards me. "From my, men, that Windhaven is finally training their males." He said, speaking to my mother. "Getting them airborne and ready for aerial combat."

Did he have a spy, in Windhaven?

Lord Devlon's camp... Oh whoever that was had to have a pair of steel balls for sure. Devlon did not take kindly to someone who disobeyed- but a traitor...

I did not want to know.

The Queen picked up her napkin, and dabbed at her mouth in the most antagonizing way possible.

Royal manners.

"Very well." She stood from her chair, her hands coming down in front of her. "Prepare our legions for departure." She said to Thesion, her chin held high as she spoke. "Have them ready by nightfall, General."

They both nodded a single time.

The Queen left the chambers.

My sister's, the girls who had not spoken a word, stared blankly at Thesion.