Chapter 13

THE HEIRESS

453 years ago...

The night sky was wonderfully bright, the stars sparkling all around us. The sunset had been as wonderful as always. It was known for the sunset to be so much more magnificent in Dusk.

We stood shoulder to shoulder on the balcony that night. The entire palace was silent, the only time I got to be close to him.

He had been a nobody.

A mere peasant from the city, as my mother called them. Peasants.

But he was my friend.

I dared a glance his way, a smile on my face. His eyes met mine, that stunning yellow. Something so rare. So precious.

I spoke without thinking twice, "I could get you a position on the Royal Guard."

"What?"

"A position on the Guard." I drawled, "In the palace."

"Yeah I got that." He replied with that stupid smug smile I had learned to love so much. "But— why?"

A shrug was all I mustered while I leaned my forearms onto the railing of the balcony. Watching the view of the city. Of my mother's court. My wings drooped behind me. Relaxed.

"I don't like the idea of you being out there any longer." I said to him. "In those streets.."

From the corner of my eye, I saw the male next to me turn around. Leaning his weight back turned against the railing while his arms crossed tightly over his chest. "I can handle myself just fine, princess."

A snort. Followed by soft laughter from the both of us.

"You can't handle a butter knife-" I told him with a smile, "let alone a dagger, or a sword."

He shrugged now.

He had this innocence about him, even if he was far from it. He could fight. I have seem him bloodied and bruised plenty of times over the past years.

Sneaking around my mother had been the most dangerous game to play, but my mother would not approve of me bedding a bastard's son. Not that I have.

I wanted to though-

As we stood, the first night he was left untouched, perfectly healthy. Just— perfect...
I couldn't help but to stare. His eyes were fixated on the floor by his feet, his posture tense. He knew the risk of sneaking into the palace. But he did it. Time and time again, he sneaked in with me and spent the night.

We would sit and talk for hours. Sit and discuss city manners, talk about books or even steal cookies from the kitchens at three in the morning. We rarely went out onto the balconies, out of fear of getting caught. But tonight was— different.

"I can not allow you to give me anything, princess." He told me after a moment of silence. That short moment that had allowed my mind to wander.

"Don't."

"Don't what?"

"Call me princess."

Our eyes met once more. But his didn't seem the same. Not like they had been just a moment ago.

"Ammy," He started softly, pushing off the railing.

I was the one to turn now, my weight pressed back against that railing. My wings open and free in the night sky over the railing. He stood in front of me, his figure towering over me by a head. He was broad, yet slim all the same. It brought comfort, to feel him so close. That scent of city smoke and cinnamon mixed together, I would always be weak for that.