Chapter 10

THE HEIRESS

Solana.

Queen.

Mother.

Dusk had been forgotten after nearly a millennia. The forgotten Court.

The eighth Court.

It was known for its strength. For the powers born from the moon and its stars. For the close connection it held to the Night Court. The similarities that stood out.

Queen Solana.

She ruled over Dusk. She kept peace between the Solars.

Solana, the Queen of the Dusk Court.

Rumored to have fallen far before The War, along with her Court.

Nobody knew where or how Dusk had fallen.

Nobody knew where the remaining Dusk Fae had gone off to.

It was all unknown, all of it was kept a mystery.

Like it was dug deep underground, kept from all Fae from ever finding out about the unknown past of Prythian.

Not even Rhysand knew.

Not Cassian.

Not Azriel.

The shadows had never once whispered to him about another Court. Only when he wished. When it was his mission.

Not Amren.

The eldest for as far as the inner circle goes. She never once mentioned anything to anybody about an eighth Court.

My mother.

Solana Maurelle, the Queen.

Which made me, Amaya Maurelle;

Princess, heiress, to the Dusk Court.

Inheritor to her power.

I fought hard, against powers I did not understand. Against powers I myself had, but could not use. I had no control.

I fought for Azriel.

For Cassian.

For me.

This was not true, none of this was true. She was dead, she died. My mother was Illyrian. A regular female, killed just like they had planned for me.

But only, they did not want to kill me for merely being female. They wanted me dead, for my blood.

Royal blood.

Elder blood.

Maurelle.

Dusk.

My blade clashed against a shield of white. A shield of power, again and again and again. Over and over. Lift, swing, hit. I could not stop.
Tears spilled, they fell. And they didn't stop coming. I screamed. I cried.
For me. For Azriel.

I did not falter. I did not yield.

I fought, and I did not stop.

My blade collided against that shield, but it did not shatter.

Arms wrapped around my body before my next blow could land, and my blade fell to the snow. I struggled, but it all went too slow and too fast at the same time.

I was too weak.

"Baratheon!" A female voice called out. "Baratheon let her go!"

Yet the grip stayed tight.

"Let her! Let her fight, Baratheon!"

Solana, my mother, called out to my father. To let me go. To let me fight. To tire myself out, to calm down.

And he did.

By whatever miracle my body fell to the snow, but I did not get back up. I sobbed.

On my hands and knees, I dared a look at the Shadowsinger.

Cassian held him, begging him to stay awake. His syphons were fading.

"Let him go." I whispered.

I looked at my mother, slowly rising to my feet.

"Please."

I would beg.

Oh mother, I'll beg. I'll beg if thats what you want from me. I'll beg, and make you see I am not made of jokes.

"Return home, my light." She spoke, her voice floated through me.

Like the moonlight filled me, so did her voice. Her voice hit every part of me.

"Return home." She spoke, "To me, to your sisters." Her hand reached.

"No.. Amaya-" Azriel croaked, trying to get up. But he failed, and he fell.

Cassian never moved away from his brother.

"Come home and take your place." My mother's hand raised. Outstretched towards Azriel.

The white wisps writhed.

I could not risk him.

He could not be lost.

It is my turn to save you, Shadowsinger.

"I will." I said to my mother.

The wisps moved, floating through the air.

From white, to grey, to black.

Touching him, filling him.

Live, Azriel.

Live.