Chapter 28

THE HEIRESS

The snow had a true bite to it this morning. More so than yesterday. I didn't mind though.

Kissing Azriel before leaving might've been a mistake. Because now all I could think about was him.

The feel of him. The weight, and the width of his body. His muscles, moving in just the right ways. All I was seeing was Hazel, and I had only myself to blame. Fuck.

I had a meeting with Rhysand. He said something about my powers. Promised something that would show me how much control I'd have. And how good I was at being me. Not good. Really not good. But I would try to do it right. I owed myself that much.

I strolled through the camp, trying not to allow my mind to wander too far off. The males were out, preparing their breakfasts. Warming their skin by the fires. Preparing for war. Inevitable war.

And while hald of these warriors had laid awake all of last night. I had fucked the Night Court's Shadowsinger, and made him my mate. How selfish does that make me?

A deep sigh rumbled from my chest. Condensation leaving my lips. It was freezing. Literally. My wings could not stand this cold, but I had experienced far worse than a little weather. I had nearly lost them, twice.

I froze as I spotted the sunrise. It was still early. The rays were hitting my leathers, making the snow sparkle just a little bit beneath my boots. I was standing near a cliff, my body shivering against the cold winds of Illyria. I might be Illyrian, but god—did I miss Dusk in that moment.

"Thinking about jumping?" A voice asked from behind me. I glanced over my shoulder, finding none other than Rhysand staring me down. His hands in his pockets.

"With this weather, yes." I answer him.

I turn to face the sunset once more, which was followed by the creaking of snow beneath combat boots. Rhysand came to stand next to me. So casual.

"Five centuries and I'm still not used to our winters." He said.

Irritating.

"You do not need to show interest if you have none to spare." I snapped at him, letting go of my own restraints for once. What good would niceties do now?

"I have plenty to spare." He said back. His tone was much more controlled than mine. Probably what centuries of being a High Lord did to him. "I just do not care for it that much anymore." He said.

I turned to face him. "You do not care to show interest in alliances?" I asked him. "Or for a court that is not on your maps? Is that it?" I scoffed at the idea. The balls on this male. I did not care for his title, I hadn't from the start.

Rhysand stayed staring at that sunrise. His posture controlled. Bleeding calmness. Not a hint of darkness, or anger.

He inhaled slowly, his chest swelling with oxygen. Why wasn't he responding?

"Your court may not be on my maps, princess. And I may not have an alliance with you and your future people–" He now turned to face me as well. "But I do have trust."

"What do you mean by trust?" I asked him calmly.

"You trust my circle enough to fight for you. You trust my court enough to win this war alongside you." He explained, his voice a dangerous form of calm. "Earning your trust was my goal all along. I may have been iffy about the idea of you, princess. But knowing what I know now–" He glanced at the sunrise again, "I know this trust can form into a possible alliance in the future."

His attitude about this had changed. He was no longer filled with hatred, I could sense it.

"Did you get any sleep?" He asked suddenly. My heart skipped a beat.