Chapter 24

'I'm terrified by this dark thing that
sleeps in me.'
— Sylvia Plath

THE SHADOWSINGER

I saw her there, covered in the blood of another male. She had saved him, and disappeared. She had chosen him.

Cassian and I had made a bargain not too long ago, that we would get her back together. Me and him, would make sure she returned safely. A bargain we kept.

But we were in desperate need of a hand.
A hand who knew the depths of night better than any of us.

Rhysand.

Consulting him for help could've resulted in both our heads on spikes, figuratively of course. Thankfully it didn't.

Despite the Lord's despise for the princess, he knew better than to let her roam in the midst of all the whispers. So we erupted, the three of us, back together once more.

We found her there, protecting the male who was to protect her.

Rhysand spoke, but very little of what he said actually got through to me. My eyes were solely on the male behind her. The male she was protecting like we'd strike him at any moment. I might've, had it not been for her.

My eyes slowly moved to look at her. That wondrously beautiful female. Her courage wider than my own.
Her eyes met mine, but only for a split second. But in that split second, my entire body erupted. Like it was suddenly on fire, unable to be extinguished for as long as I'm in her presence.

That male. He had no business being with her. So along with that fire inside me; anger, and that nearly uncontrollable possessiveness rumbled up my chest.
Territorial bullshit.

"Because you're trying very hard to make it look like you didn't kiss him, twice, now that Azriel is here."

My head snapped to look at my High Lord, the topic of their ongoing conversation finally sinking in. Gods above.

"Rhysand." I warned him, a near growl. I wouldn't let him speak of her as such. I felt a cool sensation drip down my arms, a sensation that only ever came to life when my emotions would get the better of me.

"Alright, alright." Rhysand sighed audibly, and continued to talk. Inviting— no, ordering— them back to Illyria. Back to the camps.
War was upon us, and I was sure I'd much rather live through Rhys' fifty years of hell in Under the Mountain, than to see Amaya get hurt. Or worse, die.

The idea alone made me want to scream into the never-ending depths of the Sidra.

"Azriel-" I looked at Rhysand once more at the sound of my name, "you'll stay with the Captain." I nodded my confirmation at the order.
"And Cassian, you'll stay with the Queen." Cassian agreed to that as well.

"I'm not the Queen."

It fell silent, and all of us looked at her. This female, covered in blood while wearing the filthiest gown I've seen yet, was telling us she's not the Queen.

I frowned at the self doubt suddenly reeking off her figure. Where did her can-do-attitude go?

"You will be." I told her, my chin raising slightly as I said the words to her. Her eyes met mine, and I got lost within those turquoise hues once more. The cold around my figure disappeared, and my mind went quiet just as fast. Realization hit me so suddenly.

She makes them disappear.

She can silence my shadows.

Cassian stepped forward first, and Rhysand followed. I grabbed my brother's hand, while Rhys took care of our new guests.
We winnowed away. Far, far away from Dusk.
Back to Illyria.