Chapter 19

THE HEIRESS

Out of any male who'd do it, I least expected it to be Azriel. Brooding in the corner of my chamber like an upset child.

What was he upset over? I had no idea, but his shadows concealed him so much, I knew better than to meddle.

But that was exactly my problem. I meddle.

His piercing gaze was fixated on me, on the gown I wore for the royal ball tonight. A gorgeous black gown, sparkling with every blink of the light in just the right way. It dragged over the floor as I walked over to the brooding child in the corner. The sleeves long enough to reach just past my wrists. The back low enough to give my wings complete freedom to move whatever way they pleased.
My hair pinned up in a braided bun, keeping it out of my face. A gown impractical for defense, and hair the exact opposite.

I crossed my arms tightly over my own chest once I stood before the brooding male. My eyes narrowing on him. "Cass put you on time out?" I asked, a smirk hinting at the corners of my lips. I was rewarded with a glare so hateful, I almost laughed. Instead, I swallowed that laugh down and raised by chin a little. Azriel said nothing.

I lowered my voice to something gentle, "What's on your mind, Shadowsinger?"

His eyes locked on those of my own. Such perfect hazel eyes. If I hadn't been so preoccupied, I would've stared into them all night. But I had a ball to attend, and on top of that, I felt nothing for this male.

There was nothing.

He still didn't speak.

"Fine." I snapped, whirling back around. "Don't speak." My back stayed turned as I walked over to Lys, taking my maid's hands in my own. Her smile was as gorgeous as ever. The only female I'd ever trust in this godforsaken Palace.

"No matter what happens, Lys." I drawled, squeezing her hands tightly. "Stay. Inside."

A curt nod was all I received. Without another word to either of the males, or to Lysandra, I walked out of the room. Out of my chambers.

Dreading the Royal Ball. The Queen's Royal Ball.

I spotted my escort down the hall, slowly strolling his way to my door. And dare I say, the male who soon stood before me, looked as handsome as ever.

Hitori Caldwell. Captain Caldwell.

The Captain of the Royal Gaurd, and the High Fae male who I came to adore rather quickly in my first month at the Palace. He stayed polite, no matter my efforts to break it out of him. He served the queen but despised her in secret. A secret he dared to share with me.
Because I too, despised the queen. My mother. A horrible female, without any good prospects.

As Hitori reached me at last, I noticed he could barely keep his jaw locked in place. "You-" He nearly choked on his words, "You look-"

I smiled, even if I had promised myself to look the least bit amused throughout the night. "I look?" I teased.

Hitori glared playfully my way, though still held out his hand. "Astonishing." He told me. My cheeks flushed with colour, I could feel it.

Damn you, Hitori.

The creek of a door sounded behind me, making me turn on instinct. I never released his hand as my eyes locked on those of an Illyrian male. "Cassian-" I made sure my voice had some bite, because he wasn't supposed to be here. "What are you doing."

Cassian stood before both me and my escort. Eyeing us. His eyes narrowed on me, "This is none of my business-"

"You think?!" I snapped, but Cassian held up a finger.