Chapter 3

"Ugh."

"Number three of why I hate you, you're insufferable." You stated out of nowhere.

"What— I?" He looks at you weirdly, "always whining, making works difficult as usual or even more than usual." You rolled your eyes, he scoffs and leans back on his swivel chair.

It was already the third day of helping him, Saturday, just one more day and it's the weekend for you. You tried approaching that as quickly as possible, but it's becoming hectic when he couldn't even properly focus.

"Look, I'm not fit for office work."

"I know. Sir Koko warned me first, that's why I'm the one suffering." You sat on another chair, thankfully. A day wouldn't be like working under the youngest Haitani without bantering.

"You sound like you're not my employee. Let me remind you I'm your boss." Sending a sharp gaze your way, you didn't mind it, in fact the corners of your lips turn upwards. "You're right." You said rather enthusiastically.

"I'm babysitting my boss~" You playfully cooed as if talking to a child, placing a hand on your cheek. "Although my boss is rather hideous and obnoxious, the payment for it was exceptionally high." Sighing dreamily, taunting the two-toned hair male.

"Why you—" He seethe through his teeth, irk marks appearing all over his face.

"Oh! I'm sorry! You might not understand me. Was my words too intelligently for you? Pardon me, sir." You said dramatically, gasping to emphasize exaggeration. He glares through his lashes, a smirk growing in his lips, "Not really, you sound like someone lost in time. Do you wanna go back to where you belong, old hag?"

Lightning seemingly strikes in the background, the tension rising. Smile still on your lips, strained, he held no laughter nor joy and his usual stoic face came to. "Pft—" You laughed suddenly, free from any infuriation.

Rindou sighs and held an unnoticeable smile.

This was times when you could be so playful at work, free from stress of any deadlines or tied from work. You leaned back in your chair, wiping the tears at the edge of your eyes from laughing. For a moment, you've forgotten of the work still needed to do.

Workaholic, a word people who knew of you always described you as. Maybe your boss wasn't overdramatic when he found out you were leaving.

Nonetheless, you took your time to calm down. Looking aimlessly at the ceiling, a small smile placed on your lips. Getting caught up of daydreaming abruptly.

Would life be this peaceful without any dooming work? Would you be able to dawdle for long and not a mean while? What kind of thoughts are these anyways. Maybe you really are workaholic.

Is that why you're still single?

Rindou cocked a brow, he puts his elbow on the table and places his chin on his hand. He watches and listens as you hum. It was occasional to see you so lost in thought when you're ever seen to be focused in things on hand. He was glad enough to be a person you'd be so laxed with.

What were you thinking of? He ponders, he looks how your lashes would occasionally flutter open when you momentarily close them. He felt as if going under a trance, a spell he couldn't snap out of until you spoke again.

A small chuckle escaped your lips, you look at the disorganized paper on the desk. "I wonder if I'll miss this... but then again, that means I'll miss arguing with you." A cheeky grin replaced your minuscule smile.

He scoff, "You won't miss anything if you don't leave." He clicked his tongue, you shake your head. "Still on about that?" Gathering the paper to arrange.

"I wouldn't be if my secretary isn't leaving." He mumbles, acting like a child, you threw a side glance at him. The corner of your lips perking up, you stack the paper on the desk neatly before swiftly going behind your boss' chair.

"Is my boss moody? I never would've thought I'd see the day where you'll be concerned of me leaving." Teasing him, you cocked your head to the side to look at him, "Weren't you always whining about firing me—"

The loose hair that fell from behind your ears was gently caressed between the mullet haired man's fingers. He looks at you with half-lidded eyes, "I'm concerned because you're mine." He states, locking eyes with you.

You were taken back and your eyes dilated, feeling heat slowly rushing to your cheeks. You slap him upright from his head, "Just because I worked for you doesn't mean I'm yours." Huffing through your nasal.

You walk towards the papers, "It's lunch time already, I'll be going then." carrying them in ease. Rindou winced as he cradled his head where you had hit him. He looks again to see your back, you opened the door and spoke one last time.

"If you ever say that to your new and next secretaries, and yes, secretaries, knowing Sir Koko would probably hire lots 'till he finds a suitable and qualified one. They'll probably leave you in horror if not, then they're a bunch of whores." You glanced at him one last time.

"You'll probably end up single at that rate. That's probably karma though." You smiled sweetly one last time before leaving.

Rindou was left ruffling his own hair with your words, "In the end she manages to have the last laugh..."

He recalls your figure again on the doorway, "...even when you're flustered." Noting how the tips of your ears were red at the time, you probably tried to suppress it. He leans back at his swivel chair.

A slim thin smile on his lips, did he win the argument or did he lost? Again.

——

In case your wondering,

When Rindou says 'your mine', it was endearing for [name] since they've been together for so long. They were friends under the concept of 'co-workers'.

It would've sound possesive if [name] wasn't used to Rindou's personality and attitude.