27

If Jiang Cheng thought things would get better, he was vastly mistaken. Considering Wei Ying's very sudden, but very prompt and assured succession from the Sect, there were so many things that he had not really thought about that now had to be taken care of. Namely the classes with the Junior Disciples, the training of the Junior Disciples, outings and meetings which had previously been coordinated by Wei Ying, along with lesson plans, material, and tutoring. That was just his roles as a basic Head Disciple. The amount of work that now swamped Jiang Cheng was overwhelming. That did not even include everything else that Wei Ying had been in charge of as a Head Disciple.

Previously, he had not been quite aware of just the amount of work being a Head Disciple was. Over the next few months of having to take over Wei Ying's job whilst they tried to find a replacement that had the training and ability, however, he was forced to conclude that there had been a lot of things that even he had not understood. He could not even begin to handle most of the things that Wei Ying did. From scouting new disciples, to helping the juniors one on one and in small groups with their forms. Answering tons of endless questions that the younger disciples had, ordering robes and outerwear for the disciples, something which Jiang Cheng had never known that Wei Ying had to do as a head disciples, and had not even known was one of the duties given to a head disciples. Not to mention requesting new training equipment. He was the go between the disciples and the Sect Leader, something Jiang Cheng had not entirely been aware of either. There was also so much more to those seeming 'meaningless' trips to the ponds and local town markets which Jiang Cheng had previously thought frivouless and meaningless. Yet, there was so much more to it. Wei Ying had to coordinate each and every one of those. In advance! Along with who was going, what it was used for, how they were used, what they were to be doing, how long they would be gone...the list was seemingly never-ending. Those meaningless swims in the lake had so much more meaning once he looked over the paperwork that Wei Ying had to file for them.

Training in stamina, endurance, speed, things that Jiang Cheng would never even think of, yet that is what those sims at the lake did. Wei Ying was right too, it did train all of that. Those trips to the market? That was working on communications, negotiation, calming the emotions, clearing the mind, teaching humbleness, and conflict resolve. Once more not something that Jiang Cheng would have ever thought about, but when he thought back to those trips he had to admit Wei Ying did have a point about it.

He had previously thought of training as just the time that he had spent on the field with his sword, but he was beginning to see that Wei Ying had made training not seem like training. He had developed close bonds with the other disciples by being that sweet talking, easy going, happy and go lucky person. People felt comfortable with Wei Ying, the other disciples felt comfortable coming to him and asking questions, asking for help, and were eager to spend time with Wei Ying especially when the training that he gave may be unconventional, but effective and fun, which was why he never seemed to have any issue with his disciples. Yet...Jiang Cheng did not have the same go about him. The newer disciples were not learning nearly as fast as when Wei Ying was around, and on top of that, many of the older disciples had decided to move sects when they found out that Wei Ying was gone. Sure, they had tuffed it out for a while, but upon stating that they felt their cultivation was far more stagnant, they left and...Jiang Cheng did not know where they were now, but that was when Jiang Cheng decided to finally, though reluctantly, begin to implement the things that Wei Ying had. Yet, he did not have the same rapour as Wei Ying did. The disciples did not want to be around him, many found him scary, and while before he may have taken a compliment to that, it also meant that none of them wanted to go on outings to the market, or to the lake, and when Jiang Cheng insisted, or demanded it, they did so incredibly reluctantly, which hindered the entire point of the training in the first place.

The Jiang Sect, without Wei Ying, was slowly, but surely...failing. Jiang Cheng had to admit, Wei Ying had done far more with his presence than any of them had given him credit for. He was a balm, a mix of stern but calm serenity. His easy manner and effortless confidence in what he was doing was everything a Head Disciple had to be, and something which Jiang Cheng was not. It was not even just because he was the Sect Heir, but he just did not have that same nature that Wei Ying did.

With Wei Ying gone...Jiang Cheng could practically taste the slow demolition of his beautiful sect...and he had no idea what to do about it. 

He had tried to write Wei Ying, in a sense of desperation the last two weeks. Every letter he sent, however, went unanswered. He did not really know what to do. He was definitely beginning to realize that he had messed up. He knew that Wei Ying had taken on a lot of responsibility, but he was beginning to realize just how much responsibility that he had taken on. How much more that not just him, but the entire family had messed up by acting as though Wei Ying was always going to be there.

They had never really considered the thought of Wei Ying leaving the sect. Though we should have. He thought bitterly to himself as he lay hunched over what seemed like the millionth unopened letter that had been returned to him. Both of his parents succeeded to be with each other. Now he is doing the same, to be with Lan Wangji. It was not just Lan Wangji though was it? For all that he claimed he despised the Lan Sect, they did more at making him feel...welcome...than the Jiang Sect has. As much as we may like to pretend, Mother always treated Wei Ying as though he was the scum under her shoe, and Father did nothing to stop it. Even Sister and I...Wei Ying cannot even call JieJie...JieJie, at the behest of mother, or risk getting whipped. Jiang Cheng stared at the still sealed envelope, grasping it into his hands and crushing it between his fingers. Did the Lan put some ban on the Jiang Household or something? Jiang Cheng cursed as he threw the letter across his room. He breathed in and out heavily.

Damn them. Jiang Cheng growled out loud as he cursed everything in his mind. I knew there had been something going on between the Second Jade and Wei WuXian. Especially after the night I punished him. Perhaps I went a bit far, especially since he had run out, tears in his eyes. He had not even bothered to come back, but...I will bet that is what made the two get so close so fast. He probably ran into the Second Jade whilst he was one patrol. Jiang Cheng could curse himself. If only I had not scolded him so badly and punished him so harshly that Lan Wangji would not have proved me wrong...very wrong it would seem.

Suddenly, an idea came to Jiang Cheng. It was not the best one, perhaps would not even work, but it was the last chance that he had, the last thing that he could try before he knew all hope was lost.