Justified Harshness

Perhaps Wei Ying had momentarily lost his composure, and he knew that Lan Zhan knew it as well. He just...could not help it. The idea that two rogue cultivators, no matter who it was that had taught and trained them, would be willing to strike a defenseless person...whether it was that this person was a demonic cultivator like Wei Ying himself was, or otherwise, it did not matter, the point was that Xue Yang had been tied up, he had been utterly incapable of defending himself against whatever it was that the others would or may do to him. He would not have been capable of fighting them, even if he had wanted to. It was that sort of realization that really caused Wei Ying to snap more so than he normally would. Bring on top of that Jiang Cheng's rude and cruel words...Wei Ying could not help himself in the way that he had almost lashed at them, almost demolished their very existence and would have crushed them under is hands with no regret over he would have done. 

Give the fact that Wei Ying had been Xue Yang at one time. Wei Ying understood the cruelty of the streets, he understood the disgust which others would rear towards you, and he could comprehend the hatred which Xue Yang had towards everyone in that town. Everyone in that town had hurt him, one way or another. Whether it be physically, emotionally, mentally, they had stepped on him, degraded him, dehumanized him in the worst possible of ways, and Xue Yang had only been a child, unable of defending himself against their cruel and heartless worst. Wei Ying understood even if he had hoped against all hope that he could not comprehend that anger and hatred that Xue Yang felt, he could. He understood it far more intimately than any other would be capable of understanding, and it was that reason why he could not...he could not just sit by and do nothing. He could not idly watch as they struck a cultivator who had no ability to deflect the strike, not when he understood what had driven Xue Yang to do what he had done, not when he understood the feelings of sadness, hurt, and anger that would have driven him to do it in the first place. 

So he had gotten in between them, he ad done so despite knowing that it would confuse Xue Yang, knowing how angry Jiang Cheng would be, and not even consulting with Lan Zhan over it....something which left him quite upset at himself, after all should he not ensure that Lan Zhan knows what he was going to do before he goes and does it? Should he not ask him first...

Luckily, Lan Zhan harbored no ill will. He had known what Wei Ying was going to do before he had even done it. Lan Zhan knew that Wei Ying would not be able to just sit there in the face of an injustice and allow it to slide, he would not be Lan Zhan's Wei Ying if he did. The moment that he had sensed what was about to happen he had known what Wei Ying would do, and he was not going to be the one to stop him. If Wei Ying was worried about Xue Yang being given an unfair trial, and if Wei Ying felt that Xue Yang could be saved, than Lan Zhan would follow Wei Ying, because Lan Zhan knew that Wei Ying understood dark cultivation far better than he himself did. He knew that if anyone would be able to understand the thing that Xue Yang had done, and why he had done it, he knew that Wei Ying would be the one who would be capable of helping the other. 

It hurt, just a little bit. Jiang Cheng had made Lan Zhan so angry when he spoke to Wei Ying in such a tone. In such a manner. He had already spent such a long time trying desperately not to allow the anger of knowing what it was which Jiang Cheng had done to Wei Ying to fester, because Wei Ying had assured him multiple times that Jiang Cheng was just angry, and he often did not realize what he did. The scene that he had seen with his own eyes earlier, would prove a different story, however, and he was not one to allow such things. 

Still, Lan Zhan also could not possibly allow Wei Ying to lost himself over such a pitiful person which was simply not worth either of their time. So he called Wei Ying back, and was more than a little relived when the other heeded. He was worried perhaps he had waited just a little too long, but it was heedless. the boy followed him immediately, and they took Xue Yang, took Nie Huaisang with them, and they left.

He was glad too. He was not sure how much longer he could stand Jiang Cheng talking to his beloved that way. He wanted to rip his forehead ribbon off and wrap it around Wei Ying's wrist and pull him tightly to him when Jiang Cheng had dared speak such ill of the young cultivator. Such broad displays were not in his nature, however, and he knew better than to act in such a way. He would need to calm himself down, and he would deal with Jiang Cheng later...he swore that he would deal with the other later and make him sorely regret speaking such cruel things about his beloved. 

"Why did you do that?" Xue Yang asked when they settled against the midst of a forest for the evening. They were close enough to the Cloud Recesses, it would only take maybe another day before they reached it. 

"Why did I do what?" Wei Ying asked, somewhat distracted by Lan Zhan dropped a ton of fire logs together for the evening fire which they were to build. 

"You took the hit that was meant for me, why?" This time it was more demanding. Wei Ying turned to look at Xue Yang who, despite being bound with rope, was still very agile, he could have left by now, not that it would do him much good. The other's dark eyes were veiled with anger and curiosity. 

"Because, I understand you." Xue Yang scoffed at that. 

"Understand me?" He mocked. "Do you?"

"I lived alone, on the streets, when I was a child. I cannot blame you for what you did to that town. Living on the streets is not easy, anyone who has an inkling of what it is like can understand that much. Especially as a child, it is even worse. I don't condemn your actions, how can I when I understand them? When I share the same sentiment?" Wei Ying shrugged, as though he were not telling a Dark Cultivator that he would have done the same exact thing, had the situations been revered. 

Nie Huaisang, for all his worth, was quite fascinated at such information. Lan Zhan, it seemed, already knew this, but he had not. The fact that such a powerful cultivator had lived on the streets alone as a child? That was something which was most certainly not common knowledge, and he could not help but find it useful information that he would file away for late. It had to be important if it was to the point where Wei Ying was capable of understanding why Xue Yang would slaughter an entire village of people. 

Huaisang wondered what would happen when they got to the Cloud Recesses. At this point, it seemed as though Xue Yang and Wei Ying were getting along quite well, they continued to barter back and forth. He glanced at Lan Zhan who was doing nothing to stop it. This would be a very interesting few days.