Chapter eighteen

“Why are you doing this?” Mrs. Knight asked frantic looking at Charmaine who was by the door entry of her bedroom.

Ms. Knight was sitting on the bed, unharmed but she was still scared…for her husband at last. Train promised he wouldn’t hurt her but then Train dragged her husband into the living room. Charmaine tried to calm Mrs. Knight down so she offered to take the frightened to the bedroom while Train questioned Knight.

Charmaine liked Mrs. Knight from her stay at the hospital and thought she was a good person. Hearing Mrs. Knight’s voice gave her motivation to get up from her makeshift coma. Charmaine figured she owed Mrs. Knight so she was going to make sure nothing happened to the good nurse.

“It’s complicated,” Charmaine answered. “Listen, I appreciate everything you did for me at the hospital but your husband…”

“My husband is a good man that was dishonored and disgraced by a mad man lunatic,” Mrs. Knight shot back. “The same lunatic that put you in the predicament you were in and are still currently in now. Don’t you see you are being used?”

“Listen, this will all be over shortly,” Charmaine tried to ensure her leaning her head back a little to see if she could hear anything from the living room below.

“When? When that maniac you brought murders my husband downstairs,” Mrs. Knight said. “We lose everything thinks to your hooligan friend and his buddy downstairs. My husband is out of a job. I can’t even show my face anymore because of this whole mess. My job is in jeopardy too and all because I tried to help you.”

“You think I wanted this,” Charmaine said. “I was on my way to college.”

“And what’s stopping you?” Mrs. Knight asked. “That hooligan downstairs. Don’t you see that all those boys know is pain. That’s all they will ever cause or produce.”

 Charmaine looked at Mrs. Knight for a second then shook her head. “I wish I knew…”

Mrs. Knight heard her husband yell and what sounded like furniture being moved.

“What is that monster doing to my husband?” Mrs. Knight started crying. “What is it that you want from us? What do you want from our lives? You already took everything. I lose my profession and my livelihood because of you.”

“I didn’t cause this,” Charmaine defended.

“But you are not stopping it,” Mrs. Knight cried.

What sounded like more furniture being moved caused Mrs. Knight to jump up off the bed.

“What is he doing to Vance?!” Ms. Knight tried to run to the house phone that was on top of her dresser drawer. “I’m calling the police!”

Charmaine reacted and ran after her. She pushed Mrs. Knight before she could get to the phone. Mrs. Knight lose her balance and hit her head on the dresser hard. She hit the floor hard leaving a red smear on the dresser’s edge.

“Mrs. Knight!” Charmaine said tapping Mrs. Knight who laid motionless. “Mrs. Knight! Wake up! Please! Wake up!”

Charmaine keep tapping Mrs. Knight then she leaned in and put her head on Mrs. Knight’s chest. She didn’t hear a heartbeat so she felt Mrs. Knight’s pulse. “Mrs. Knight?”

The pulse in her wrist felt low. Charmaine started panicking. “Mrs. Knight!”

Train appeared at the doorway with Knight by his collar. Knight looked a little ruffed up but nothing major. Knight saw his wife laying on the floor with Charmaine standing over her checking her pulse. Knight went into a frenzy! He didn’t care that Train had a gun or not, he elbowed Train with all his might. Train released his grip of Knight and Knight just ran to his wife. Knight shoved Charmaine out of the way and tried to conduct the same pulse checks Charmaine just did.