Chapter four

Charmaine was taken aback by those words.

“Grand daughter?” Charmaine said as if she heard him wrong.

“Yes,” the tall slender man said as he approached her and took her hand.

He kissed the back of her hand softly and then wiped a tear that was gathering in his eye.

“How...how…”Charmaine was trying to get words out but they were coming out jumbled.

“I know this is a lot to take in,” the man said. “First let me start by introducing myself. My name is King David. I never cared too much for the name but my mother found it fascinating. She named my other brother…”

“Royale,” Charmaine said the name of her uncle.

“Yes,” King said walking away from Charmaine and sitting down at the other end of the table. “I see you met my protégé Boss.”

Lincoln nodded and continued to go in on his lobster.

“What is all this?” Charmaine asked. “How did I get here? How come I didn’t know about you sooner? Why nobody told me about you?”

“Like I said,” King replied. “This is going to be a lot to take in so eat and I’ll explain to you the best I can.”

“This lobster is on point,” Lincoln complimented grabbing some butter that was on a slider on the table.

“Gerald,” King called the butler. “Make sure my dear princess is taken care of.”

Gerald nodded and placed a napkin fold across Charmaine’s lap. “What would you like to start with first?”

Charmaine looked at the smorgasbord of entrees laid across the table and didn’t know where to start. She looked at Lincoln who grabbed a butter roll from a small basket. Her attention went back to King who she just learned was now her grandfather and felt embarrassed.

“I don’t know,” Charmaine said bashful.

“How about the turkey, some collard greens and those mash potatoes,” Gerald suggested.

Charmaine nodded. “That sounds nice.”

“Good,” Gerald smiled and commenced to fixing her plate.

Charmaine looked back at King who folded a napkin over the collar of his shirt. Charmaine realized he was waiting to be served as well. Who was this guy? Charmaine felt like she was in the presence of royalty if not for the grunts coming from Lincoln. Charmaine side eyed Lincoln and wondered how someone that fine could eat like a damn wildebeest? Charmaine pushed the thought out of her head as Gerald finished making her plate and put it in front of her.

Gerald smiled and patted her on the shoulder. “Eat.”  

Charmaine picked up the folk that was in front of her and tasted the greens. They were definitely delicious and the mash potatoes were on point, too. The turkey was a little dry but it was hitting the spot. King watched her eat as Gerald fixed his plate as well.

“So how do you like your living arrangements?” King asked.

“Very fine but once again why and how did I get here?” Charmaine asked reaching for a bread roll.

“I sent Boss there to rescue you,” King said waving a quick finger at Lincoln.

“But why?” Charmaine asked. “And who are you really? I mean I’ve never heard my father or my great uncle talk about you.”