The Hunt

Together Nico, Will, Piper, Jason, Annabeth and Percy made their way first to Gracie's cabin. After asking around- and running into some very touchy people on the subject of Gracie who ended up bursting into tears or screaming in their faces- they discovered no one they asked knew why Gracie would have gone in the forest by herself and unarmed.

"Well that was a waste of time. We didn't learn anything." Percy stated as they walked away from the Demeter cabin. Annabeth elbowed him in the side.

"Yes we did, seaweed brain. We learned that Gracie probably didn't have any plans previous to go into the forest, otherwise she would have most likely told someone."

"How did no one notice Gracie wasn't around early this morning?" Will asked. They all thought in silence.

Nico was irritated. It didn't make any sense. What if someone did notice, though? Nico froze mid-step. "Oh my gods." He whispered.

"Nico, what?" Jason asked as they crowded around him.

"What if someone knew Gracie was going? Okay, at camp, people mostly hang out with kids around our own age, right? But there wasn't anyone around Gracie's age when we were in the Demeter cabin, were there?" Everyone stood in silence.

"Gracie was 12. We only talked to Demeter kids about the age of 14 and up, along with a few 11 year olds. But they didn't know anything, either." Piper stated.

"What if Gracie's friends were with Gracie before she went into the forest? Then after they heard about what happened, they got scared and avoided everyone who would know about what happened." Percy said.

"That would mean you, Will. You're the head doctor at camp. If anyone, they would avoid you, at all costs." Annabeth pointed out.

"We have to find Gracie's friends, now." Nico demanded. "Where did you guys go if you needed to hide at camp at the age of 12?"

"They wouldn't go into the forest after what happened to Gracie, unless they feel confident with weapons and defending themselves." Annabeth reasoned.

"The lake might work, if everyone else is closer to the center of camp. But the nymphs are annoying..." Percy drifted off.

"The dining Pavilion? No one is there except for meals." Jason suggested.

"The strawberry fields? It's such a big space, you wouldn't really run into anyone." Will guessed. Nico nodded.

"The lake first."

*****

Nope. The few Demeter kids Gracie's age had seemed to disappear from camp. Either they were in the forest, or they left camp. Piper and Annabeth asked the kids in their cabins around Gracie's age if they were close with Gracie or knew anyone who was, got got five recurring names: Lindsay, Shane, Zach, Courtney and Drake.

"I remember those names. I was giving an archery lesson to the younger kids a while back. They acted like they owned the camp and were apparently the 'cool kids'. One of the worst lessons I ever taught. Even worse than Percy's first time with a bow." Will recalled as they walked towards the only place they hadn't checked, the forest.

"Hey!" Percy whined. Nico zoned out once Percy started arguing with Will about his non existent archery skills. Nico was getting a bad feeling. He was certain that the five kids knew what Gracie was doing in the forest, alone and unarmed. And what Will said unsettled him even more. If Will was right, that meant they might not have been the 'friends' everyone thought they were to Gracie.

"They wouldn't have been stupid enough to leave Camp HalfBlood unless they knew they would get in trouble. I mean, Will, you're not that scary." Jason said as they reached the treeline of the forest.

"But he does hang out with Nico. And dude, you must be terrifying for a kid who's 12 or 13." Percy stated.

"Thanks." Nico said sarcastically, rolling his eyes. It was true. Even after bringing the Athena Parthenos back to Camp HalfBlood, and even being surrounded by the most loved people in camp, people still shifted uncomfortably and looked uneasy in Nico's presence. Not everyone, and not as nearly as much, but especially with the younger campers.

"So... Are we just going to stand here, or are we going to go into the forest?" Percy asked.

"You're an idiot, kelp head." Piper deadpanned.

"What? That's what we're doing right n-" Percy was interrupted by an faint but distinct, ear splitting scream from deep in the forest. Without a second glance at each other, the six ran straight into the trees.

*****

Quick note:

Halla peoples! I usually write on my ipad, but it's dead and I was on my laptop and I thought, "eh, what the hell. I need to get this posted." So the story is formatted differently. I might go and change the other 20 parts to being more spaced out like this chapter, but that's a lot of work and I'm lazy. Eh, whatever. Anyways.

Tootles!

~Bri