Olin XI

I sat there, lying in bed, almost unable to move. It took all my will power just to sit up. It was the six year anniversary. You know, I thought I grieved as much as I could in the past few years. After the funeral I fell into the deepest depression. I couldn't focus on anything, I couldn't eat. All I wanted to do was just lay in my bed. I went days, weeks without bathing. I cried so much that there were no tears left. No sound, only the pain.

I knew to expect sadness. The anger at the doctors for not saving her, anger towards Hollice for not finding a way. Anger at myself for not being there when she left. I had finally gotten past that... But then, then came the emptiness. Gods, it was worse than I'd imagined. It was like a piece of me left with her. I felt as if there was this void in me, eating away at my essence, trying to fill itself, but it never could. It just... kept eating.

I forced myself out of bed, threw on a robe and walked down the stairs. I saw Claudia cleaning up behind the bar while the other employees got ready for the day. I walked into the kitchen to grab myself a bagel. I needed to put something on my stomach, no matter how non-existent my appetite was. I made my way to the front to greet everyone. Claudia stopped in her tracks when she saw me.

"Oh Olin." she said, "You're still in your pajamas?"

"Just got up." I replied, "Don't worry, I'll be ready when my shift starts."

"You sure you don't want the day off?" she asked, "I could call Raúl in again."

"No." I said, "I'm fine." I couldn't even sell that lie to myself. "Besides, working would keep my mind busy."

"Well okay." she said, still looking quite concerned, "You hurry and wash up though, the pitz tournament is today, we'll be busy."

"Wait!" I exclaimed, flashing back to life, "That's today? Shit, I hope it's not too late to place my bets."

"Don't worry." Alejo said, walking in. How long had he been standing in the doorway?

"I placed them for ya." he said with a smirk, "And by the way, after Cortez' hip injury last month, the Jaguars are losing this year."

I smiled back, "Oh yeah?" I joked, "And who are you betting on? Fortaleza?"

His smile cracked a bit. "No." he chuckled, "I learned my lesson last year."

Pitz was Kaseo's largest sport. Honestly, I think people all around the world watched the league play. Sure it was just a bunch of beefy people knocking each other around, trying to get this ball through a hoop on a wall with nothing but their feet and hips. But gods, was that exciting.

"Jaguars are gonna take it this year." I said, "Just you watch."

"Yeah sure," he said, "They won't make it past the third round."

"You sure about that?" I said, leaning in.

"Why? Trying to make it interesting?" he asked, leaning in just as close.

"Stop it both of you." Claudia butted in, "Y'all already wasted too much money on your bets. Besides we all know Supe's gonna wipe the floor with any of those teams."

"Sounds like we've got a superteam bandwagon over here." Alejo whispered to me. We both started to laugh.

After a while, and a much needed shower, I started to help get the pub all set up and ready for the tournament, then, someone was knocking on the door.

"Sorry!" Claudia yelled, "We're not open yet!" The knocking continued.

"I said come back later!" she called. More knocking. I took my eyes away from the table I was setting and looked over. I nearly dropped the glass I was holding. I didn't know the man at the door, but I did recognize the patch on his suit jacket. It was a Colridian rose, red with five petals, the symbol of the Patrons. Why was someone from one of the families here? I only get a visit once a year by Hollice, and it wasn't that time.