Leo XLI

Three weeks

Three weeks went by and not a single word. For all I knew, he could have crossed the border into Sofo already. Ahnah reassured me that wasn't the case. I wish she'd give me more straight forward answers. I tried my best to keep my mind off of Olin, but it was kind of hard with Alejo asking all his questions.

"So," he asked in the middle of our sparring, "He really never said anything about me and Claudia?"

"Nothing." I said, blocking his attack, "He didn't say much about his life in Kaseo. Only really asked how we were doing." He looked genuinely hurt.

"But he did say the people there were nice." I added. He smirked.

"I'm sure he did."

He lunged at me with his macuahuitl. I raised my falcata to parry, but he hooked it with one of the obsidian blades. He twisted and my sword went flying. I jumped back. He may have been new with his powers, but his combat prowess was nothing to sneeze at. He pointed his weapon at me and a dark brown incantation circle formed at its tip.

"Crecimiento"

Vines sprung out and ran towards me. I dodged and ran for my sword, grabbing it just in time to hack away at the vines. Even for only having a base form, this guy was pretty good. But still, casting spells took a lot out of him. I looked back over and he was down on one knee, propped up with his macuahuitl.

"You okay?" I asked, jogging over to help him up.

"Yeah.." he sighed, catching his breath, "Didn't think that one would take so much outta me."

"New spells can be a handful." I joked, helping him to his feet.

"You make it look so easy." he chuckled, "Your training must have been insane for you to reach your premier etape so fast."

"It was pretty crazy." I said, "But they did remark how most Maiors take months to reach the first stage."

"Must be something in the water," he quipped, "I'm good to go again."

"You sure?" I asked.

"Positive."

We backed up and took our stances. I went to lunge, but Suyin entered the sparring chamber, yelling for us to stop.

"You two!" she yelled, "Fun times over, we're moving out."

"What's going on?" Alejo asked.

"You found them." I said, she nodded.

"They're moving on the border. We have no time to waste."

We hurried to the trucks and headed towards the north face of the mountain. I had to find my brother before anything happened. I couldn't let him tread any further down this road.

I couldn't let him get hurt

I know they mean to take him alive, but if he fights like he did at the base, there's a good chance he'd be taken out. I had to get to him first, talk him down. This was my only chance. I just wish dad was with me. I'm sure he would be able to convince Olin no problem, but he, Sun, and Ahnah had to head to the southern coast last night. Something about a diplomatic mission. There were people from Kmet coming.

Amazing timing

The sun was setting as we approached the border. I could see the orange glow of fire off in the distance. Suyin called ahead to the army personnel on site, telling them to keep their distance, we were close.

We came across an evacuated residential area. There was so much damage all over the place. I couldn't believe Olin was responsible. There were charred decorations littering the ground. Today was the summer solstice, Deupointese citizens celebrated the passing of the seasons, something about rebirth. I didn't know much about the cultural significance, but the festivals always seemed amazing. It was a shame to see such a happy occasion meet this fate. Suyin approached the commanding officer at the road block.

"What's going on?"

"Ma'am!" she responded, "A unit spotted three people matching your suspect descriptions, along with a fourth unknown. We tailed them to their hideout. Once they noticed they were being watched, they attacked. Two of them escaped into the forest, but the other two have been keeping us at bay."

"Which two are left here?" Suyin asked.

"The unknown assailant and one we believe to be Sebatian Lefebre."

Olin's gone?

"How long ago did the other two get away?" I asked.

"Not too long." she replied, "It's only been around fifteen minutes."

"I can still catch him!" I yelled and ran towards the fighting.

"Wait!" Suyin yelled back at me, but it had no effect. I had to reach Olin before he got away. I ran past the gun line and was met face to face with Sebatian.

"Leo?" he said, "Leo! You're okay!"

"Where's Olin?" I asked.

"Wha- Olin?" he yelled back, "Him and Jackie went on ahead! We need to get out of-"

He stopped when he saw Suyin approaching from behind me.

"Look out!" he yelled, firing off a blast of air in her direction. I moved to block it.

"Sebatian wait!" I said, "You have to stop! Hollice has-"

"Sebatian!" A voice called from behind him. A woman walked up from the debris. It was Claire.

"Get back!" she said. "Leo, what are you doing here? I saw you captured."

"Stand down!" Suyin yelled as she and Alejo joined me.

"What's going on?" Sebatian asked. I took a step closer.

"Sebatian." I said calmly, "Stop fighting and come with us, things aren't the way you think it is, how we've been told."

"Oh no..." he said, raising his sword, "You were right Claire."

"What?"

"They did indoctrinate you, didn't they!" he yelled.

"Indoc... No!" I shouted, "What are you talking about?"

"We were worried you'd get influenced by them." Claire said, "It looks like Menthu has poisoned your mind."

"What?" I said, "No! Everyone just calm down..." They both raised their hands, a crimson incantation circle formed in the air in front of them. My eyes widened.

"Everyone get back!" I yelled, stepping in front of the others. I wasn't sure if my water could block what was about to come out, but I had to try. I only had a second to counter.

"Brulee"

I placed my hands on the ground, pouring as much emi into my incantation as I could.

"Cascada"

A wall of water sprung up, just in time to block the flames, but it wasn't enough. The blast of fire pierced my spell and headed straight for me. I froze in the face of certain death. I closed my eyes, awaiting my fate, but it didn't come. I looked, expecting Suyin or Alejo blocking the fire. But no, it wasn't them.

Who are you?

Before me stood three figures, all cloaked in black, with what looked like animal heads? No, they wore masks. They were covered in markings, each shining a different color; green, pink, and orange. The one in the middle was holding a shield, flames dancing off of it. He was the one that blocked the attack. He waved his shield and it disappeared.

"Shit." he said, "That's the second worst burn I've had in a month."