Olin XV

Colridian funerals weren't really like ones in other countries. First off, our funerals were held at night. Mom once taught me that in the old days, we'd only hold funerals on clear nights so that the souls of the deceased could properly pass on and become stars in the sky mother's domain. Even though most are more relaxed with our religion, we still hold on to many of our traditions. I used to wonder why we gave praise to Muu during funerals instead of giving Heka an offering. He was the Isi of death. But mom would always say Muu was the mother of all, and because of that, she is the last one you give praise to before you can fully move on from this world. So we have our funerals during the best time to praise her: clear nights.

Even though it was spring, the night air felt particularly frigid that night. I was glad Leroux was from South Marais and not the more northern regions like Eveque. But still, this peacoat and scarf Hollice gave me was much appreciated. I would've frozen without it. As we lined up for the march, I looked around to see if I could spot Leo in the crowd of spectators. They weren't an official member of any of the families, so they couldn't partake in the initial march. As a sponsee, I was given permission. We were separated when it was time to line up.

In the front of the march was Leroux's casket in a carriage. Following him was his family, then the Patrons. It's been so long since I saw them all in person. I was reminded of my graduation a decade ago. They were spread out across the road. Hollice was positioned in the middle while I walked behind him. Over on the far right was Marc Parqet. He held command over the economics portion of the government. His home was in the eastern province of Metier, close to the port districts. He's probably the richest person alive. Next to him was Monica Comtois, Mistress of Eveque. She was the head of Colrad's religious council.

To our left were Hugo Durand and Margaux Deschamps. Durand oversaw the factories in the heart of the nation while Deschamps regulated all of the mines and other raw material producing places dotting our lands and abroad. All other matters of governance they delegated to their appointed officials. Together, these five people ran our country. To see them together, out in the open, was amazing.

Behind us were five columns of people marching, one for each family. Everyone lined up by rank. The captains were immediately behind us, followed by their lieutenants and so on. If Hollice didn't need to talk to me, I would've been the last in line.

"Stay with me." Hollice whistled back to me, "I need you to keep up and listen."

"Yessir."

"Now," he continued, "I believe it's time you knew more about my plans for you. This stays between the two of us for now, alright."

I looked around. No one seemed to be able to hear him. I nodded.

"Good." he continued, "Now. The passing of Leroux is definitely sad. The replacement of a Roi is a long process. We Patrons must come to a consensus on who that will be." He placed his hand on his chin and looked down.

"But I just can't bring myself to believe any one of those fools could effectively lead this country. No, I won't accept anyone but myself as the Roi."

"I would be honored to help you achieve that goal."

"Huh." he smirked, "I know you would. But listen, the challenge comes in convincing the others to elect me. I'm sure they're all itching to campaign for themselves as well."

I stepped in a bit closer, slightly struggling to keep pace with his long strides. I couldn't believe Hollice chose now to discuss his plans for replacing Leroux. The man wasn't even cremated yet. But still, I admired him. He was right. There's no doubt in my mind that the others were plotting their moves already too.

"How will you go about that?" I asked him.

"Simple." he replied, "Like I've told you all those many years ago, Menthu's return is approaching. And it has come time we make our preparations."