[009]

02x14
"crying wolf"

A phone ringing woke everyone up, but this time it wasn't Mira's.

'Go away,' Caroline muttered and there was a loud thump. Mira lazily opened her eyes and supressed a grin. Elena laid on the ground covered in blankets.

Caroline had pushed her off the bed.

Answering the phone, despite everyone's protests, Elena crawled out of the room and began talking to, Mira assumed, Stefan.

Mira, Caroline and Bonnie attempted to fall back asleep but they all knew it wasn't working. After about twenty minutes Caroline got up to take a shower, and Bonnie questioned Mira about being a siphon.

'So, you cant produce your own magic?'

'Nope,' Mira accented the p. 'I pretty much steal it. Like what I did with Rose's bite and the tomb spell. I only have the magic for a limited time though. It burns out after a while.'

'How do you do magic constantly then? Caroline told me about what you did yesterday, that requires a lot of magic.'

'Talismans,' Mira answered, lifting up her locket. 'This hold my mothers magic. She had a lot of it, and I use it sparingly, so it's lasted all this time. I can also siphon from vampires or witches, even werewolves.'

'Why do you call yourself a defect?'

Mira took in a sharp breath and shook her head slightly.

'Most witches hate us,' she mumbled. 'We're not supposed to exist, we're created to balance out dark rituals that happen in a coven. We usually get abused growing up, isolated. I wasn't allowed to touch anyone else in my old coven. It was damaging. Then my coven tried to kill me, so my mother and I ran.'

Right. Tried.

Bonnie looked at Mira, appalled. 'Why do witches hate siphoners so much?'

'Because Bonnie,' Mira looked at her bracelet. 'We are to witches what vampires are to humans. Instead of being addicted to blood, we're addicted to magic. When we take some without permission, it hurts the victim like hell. We literally rip the magic from their blood and bones, and if we take to much it kills.

'I made a deal with Elijah for this bracelet,' Mira held out her wrist. 'It supresses the urge to steal magic from everything I see.'

Bonnie thought for a moment.

'Does that mean you can kill an original?'

Silence.

'No,' Mira lied. 'They have too much power. I'd die before I could steal it all.'

'That'll be Damon,' Bonnie pointed towards Mira's phone that had begun ringing. Mira sighed answering it, but not before telling Bonnie if she had any other questions, she was free to ask.

'Witchy,' Damon's voice said through the speaker of the phone as Mira made her way out of Caroline's house, silently saying goodbye to the blonde vampire. 'How do you feel about attending a certain Historical Society event where our guest of honour is a specific original vampire?'

Mira groaned.

'Elena and I both made deals with Elijah, Damon. You do anything to piss him off, he takes Elena and we're all dead,' Mira said bluntly. 'I don't trust you with that, frankly, so of course I'm going to come. Knowing you, I'll probably have to steal every pen out of that damn mansion so you don't sign our death sentences.'

'Don't be so dramatic, I'm just going to have a conversation with him,' Damon smirked on the other end of the phone. 'It's fancy-ish dress. See you there.'