[017]

03x01
ray

She was standing at the altar, facing away from the fire.

She was paralysed, terror coursing through her veins. Why were they doing this? Where was her mother? Was her mother a part of this? Nothing made sense.

Why had they taken her? Mother always told her to be careful, but perhaps she was not careful enough.

Perhaps she had made a mistake. Perhaps she deserved this.

The woman that she knew to be the elder, Angeline Claire, lifted up the knife.

'I'm doing the right thing,' the witch whispered. 'For the good of the coven – the good of the world. For the witches.'

It seemed as though the witch was reassuring herself, and Mira almost felt bad for her.

That was before Angeline dragged the blade across her neck, rendering her dead.

• • •

Mira woke up, clutching her throat and gasping for breath, ignoring the concerned looks from the fellow passengers in the car.

This is how it had been for the past 3 months. Whenever she would fall asleep, she would dream of the night she died, of the suffocating feeling of drowning in her own blood, of the helpless feeling of being paralysed.

It haunted her, those feelings. Klaus and Stefan had asked on multiple times what those nightmares were about, but she never answered them. She couldn't.

No one knew about her werewolf nature besides Kol, and he was daggered. No one knew about her chaos magic besides Henrik, and he was dead.

Safe to assume that neither secret would be spilled any time soon.

'We're here,' Klaus said boredly as they pulled up a little way away from a large white house.

'We're already in Tennessee?' Mira rubbed her eyes with the palms of her hands, blinking. It was night out, and she had fallen asleep early in the morning. 'Seriously?'

'You're the one that slept most of the way, love,' Klaus said as he opened his door. 'Come on, we don't have all night.'

Mira rolled her eyes as she opened her door. Klaus had been kind enough to not force her to kill anyone, but he did force her to participate in the leadings up to it. She made sure he heard her slam the car door.

Klaus then sped up to Mira, wrapping his arm around her waist and speeding her up to the house. She tried for a few moments to move out of his grip, but he kept a tight hold. She decided to let it be.

'Rudy!' A woman calls out, looking for her lost dog. 'Rudy, come on! It's too hot to make me come look for you!'

Turning, she came face to face with both Klaus and Mira.

'I am so sorry,' Mira begins. The past few times they did this duo work, they had always thought Klaus to be suspicious, so Mira decided that the less he speaks, the better. 'We didn't mean to scare you.'

'Can I help you?' The woman frowns.

'Yeah, um, our car ran out of gas a couple miles back,' Mira cringed at Klaus' awful attempt of an American accent. 'We feel like we've been walking forever. Yours is the first house we've come to, so I was just hoping I could use your phone.'

'Don't you have a cell phone?' The woman narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

'Heh, yeah, battery died,' Klaus gave the woman a false grin. 'Look, I promise I'm not a serial killer- '