[019]

not-so-fond memories

The Windy City.

Mira vaguely remembered the last time she was in Chicago. The stress of trying not to be found by the French Quarter witches, the Mikaelson's supporting her throughout her time there, Kol with spells, Rebekah with her impeccable taste in fashion and Finn with his company.

She remembered this place most of all, however, because it was the last place she and her mother visited before Calliope Baudelaire was murdered in cold blood.

She didn't mention this to the hybrid in the car, nor the ripper, but they had noticed her silence, and her slightly increased heartbeat. It made them curious of the thoughts that were running through her head.

And although it was unspoken, Stefan could tell something had changed between his two companions. They were seemingly less hostile towards each other, and it made him wonder about what had happened in the woods, and if he truly should've left them there alone together.

'So, where is Elijah meeting us?' Mira questioned, breaking the silence that had enveloped the trio.

'Where we're meeting with our witch.'

Mira had been unable to figure out why the hybrids had failed. She knew that something was wrong because the two sides of both wolf and vampire were unable to coexist. The problem was that they didn't have the correct binding ingredient, but she couldn't figure out what the correct binding ingredient would be.

Esther Mikaelson had obviously made a preventative measure to stop her son from creating hybrid's like himself, so, Mira had requested to see the original spell.

Klaus, however, didn't want her seeing that, hence why they were in Chicago.

'That's helpful,' Mira muttered sarcastically. 'Very specific.'

The driver of the SUV pulled the car into a warehouse, and Mira, Klaus and Stefan all opened their doors and walked out.

'Welcome to Chicago, Stefan,' Klaus said with a small grin, making Mira know that he had some fond memories here. She once had happy memories of Chicago too, but the place had quickly turned into a reminder of all that she had lost.

Opening up one of the doors of the warehouse, Klaus walked through it, both Stefan and Mira following behind him.

'What are we doing here?' Stefan questioned.

'I know how much you loved it here,' Klaus said as he looked through another door, watching as a truck made its way closer to the warehouse. Mira felt the power within it, and her posture straightened as her interest piqued. She looked at Klaus, who she saw was already looking at her.

Her eyes were wide with hope.

The Mikaelson's she knew. Her family's bodies were in the truck.

'Bringing back memories of the good ol' ripper days?' Klaus questioned, turning his attention back to Stefan who didn't miss their little moment.

'Blacked out most of them,' Stefan confessed. 'A lot of blood, a lot of partying. All the details are a blur.'

Mira looked at him in curiosity. She knew rippers tended to blackout but it was rare that that they simply just forgot, especially as a vampire. Usually everything would be clear up until the part they were feeding. It wouldn't just all be vague and blurred.

'Well that's a crying shame,' Klaus said, slightly sarcastic. 'The details are what make it legendary.'

Mira turned her attention to Klaus, and she rolled her eyes at the grin on his face. Recalling the conversation, she once had with Rebekah, Mira scoffed. Compulsion, she realised. Rebekah wasn't the only one that once knew Stefan, Klaus did too. That's why he wanted the ripper on the road trip.