6: LOTUS SWAMP

The wind whispered his name. He opened his eyes to a calm blue sky. Choir of birds flew by singing an unknown song. The air was warm against his skin and the grass tickled his toes. He stood in the middle of a sea of grass and savored its sweet smell to join the serenity of the world around him. Nothing felt out of place. He had somehow jumped from the Forest of Doom and into another world and fear was far from reach.

For a minute, he wished he could stay in this place and accept his death. He smiled and chuckled watching the clouds float in front of a golden sky. That's when he noticed the shape of the clouds were in the form of Gamael's swirled eye.

"Fascinating," he said happy to have been accepted into the Holy Realm instead of the Abyss.

From out of nowhere a silver lightening bolt shrieked across the sky. Alsin jumped from the blinding flash and the crackling sound. His heart sunk to his toes and he stumbled backwards. His foot knocked into something on the ground sending him sprawled along the grass.

He yelped staring into the open sapphire eyes of the old man. Dark blood drained from multiple stab wounds on his body, staining his colored rob and the grass beneath. Chills crawled up his spine seeing he had dipped his right hand into the blood in his fall. Lightning disrupted the calm sky turning it crystal clear. A frosted wind took the air and the golden sun began to bleed. In the distance he spotted the moon, its holy whiteness scorched burnt.

Alsin gave a cry, shivers of pain withered through his muscles, his veins, and his bones. He slid away from the body only to bump into someone standing. Heart leaping from his chest he crawled away to look up at the person. He cranked his neck back peering up into an unseen face hidden underneath the thick black cloak. A dagger dripping blood sat in his gloved hand.

The crystal sky cracked. Webs of cracks grew. It shattered with a scream.

Alsin screamed in agony as someone lifted him from the ground. A sharp pain erupted in his abdomen and chest. He groaned full awake to the taste of iron in his mouth.

"Alsindad," Sir Nileon said and shook him.

"What happened?" he shouted and squirmed under Nileon's hold.

Nileon took him by his lower ribcage to keep him steady on his feet. "It's okay, Alsindad. It's over, but we need to get out of here."

Alsin blinked away his blurry vision and saw the feeding trees were done their meal. Blood and body parts of men and even horses decorated the dark forest. An iron watery smell lingered in the air. He sharply inhaled and spat the disgusting iron liquid from his mouth. The sun was shining bright leading on to midday.

He wrapped his arm about Nileon's neck and the strong knight held him up. They went to walk. He leaned onto his right foot and a lightning bolt of pain swam up and crashed into the spot where Nileon's hand rested. He grunted and spilled forward, releasing the pressure on his right side. Nileon took him by the breastplate to keep him stabled.

"Aagh," Alsin shouted, a dribble of blood exiting the corner of his mouth.

"We must keep going, mate," Nileon advised voice withering in fear. "Just hold on to me."

The two walked as fast as they could muster. An unharmed armsman ran towards them to take Alsin's injured side. Their eyes scanned the area to catch any sudden danger.

Alsin shivered noticing it was only the three of them "Did we loose everyone? Demetri?" Tears swelled in his eyes and his family flashed before his eyes.

"No, I saw some of our group running this way."

"How did you two...?"

"I hid under a root," said the armsman.