48: MAGIC

She saw what he did and had no time to think on what to do except one useful thing. She held up her hand feeling the magic within it tingle. Gritting her teeth together she released her magic and caught the falling knight midway down the ladder. With great ease she lured him down and sat him on the ground.

She knelt beside him and pity washed over her. His fingers were curled as if in excruciating pain but it was the color that struck her hard. They were bleach white and frozen still. His eyes were closed, his mouth pressed into a straight line, and his body shivered violently.

"Get a fire going," she heard the boy Kit say behind her.

"What is she?" asked the man who gave no indication of obeying.

"Is that the witch?" said the man's wife tugging fearfully on her cloak's collar.

Galasia growled knowing they couldn't hear her. She cupped her hands and brought it to her cracked lips. She blew into her own shivering hands releasing magic at the same time. Her wishes were granted as a tiny bluish white flame grew in her handmade cup. Carefully, she disconnected her hands, the calm flame tickling her skin, and grabbed the knight's hands.

She heard movement behind her and the dark passageway lit up with a golden flame. The boy stepped over Alsindad and knelt beside him. He hovered a torch he had found somewhere over the knight's head in hopes that it would warm him.

"Don't leave me," Kit whispered his red eyes swelling with tears.

There was nothing she could say in return. The man and his family mumbled amongst themselves and two found torches were lit.

"This tunnel should lead us to the other side of the village," the man said.

"But won't the frostbiters spot us?" said the man's wife.

"Maybe if we stay down here for a while and wait until they are gone," the man said.

"I don't want to be near her," whispered the man's youngest son.

Galasia caught eyes with Kit who stared at her with great suspicion. "Can you teach me that?" The boy nodded at her flaming hands.

It's magic, she said.

"What?"

I said, it's ma-gic, she slowly mouthed feeling her blood boil with annoyance.

"Magic? Oh yeah. I know that," Kit said with a nod. "But can you teach me?"

I hate children, she said glaring at him to be silent.

"What?" the boy said and leaned back sensing her warning to stop talking to her. "Never mind," he muttered pressing a hand on Alsindad's pale forehead.

"Wake up Alsin. Don't leave me here with these people," he said which she couldn't disagree.

Already she had to listen to Galiathan explain her forgotten history and now it's certain that Edrich and Javana wants her dead. When looking at Alsindad and Kit's faces she knew that this Mad Mist was not normal. The way it took hold of her body sending it warping into aches and pains and nausea, she would not mind openly admitting that she was terrified. For as long as she could remember- in what distance her memory could take her- she had always loved soaking in other people's fear. Now the boat seemed to have turned as of late. Ever since this knight from Terra entered her life.

She rubbed his hands frostbitten still and felt a hint of warmth returning to them. His fingers moved stiffly but weren't frozen still any longer. She pressed a flamed hand on his chest and stomach hoping her magic would seep into him and renew his strength. Already she could feel the flames warming her own body up.