12: SCALES

ALSIN'S POV

His father held him by the hand and led him down the hall to his parent's bedroom. He watched with wide eyes as his father touched the knob and slid his hand from his grip.

No, I don't want to go in, he sobbed his face wet with tears.

Don't you want to see your mother? He asked voice wavering in sorrow.

His voice choked behind another sob. His thudding heart quivered between his love for his mother and the fear of what had possessed her.

Something screeched outside and swooshed pass the house. Alsin jumped near out of his slippers, too spooked to go on. He turned to run back to his own room and crawl under the bed, but his father grabbed his arm and pulled him tight against his chest. The shivers that invaded him vibrated into his father's chest as he shriveled up in his embrace.

Son, it's okay. The beasts are outside. They can't get you unless you go out there. Oh son, I won't let anything happen to you.

The hall wavered in darkness with only a few candles casting a burnt orange hue. Still Alsin could only see two inches in front of him where his father's loving green eyes soothed him. He wrapped his little arms around his father's neck and continued weeping.

Please don't let me go in.

He wrapped a strong arm around his waist. You have to son. You don't want to regret not saying goodbye to your mother now, hmm?

The very thought forced more tears to spew from his red puffy eyes. He unwrapped his arms and took a step back. Another screech passed over the house on the hill and the polished wooden floor shook. His father caught him by the shoulders to prevent him from falling into the table against the wall.

Come, his father said and held his hand. He touched the knob again and opened the door. Upon entering Walta handed them handkerchiefs to wrap around their faces. Alsin sniffled up a rotting food and mildew smell. He froze and glanced back at the door, his chest squeezed his airway.

I don't know if I can do this, father.

It's okay, he said tightening his grip on his hand and pulling him inches towards the bed.

A single lantern hung above the massive bed. Ointments, remedies, and bloody cloths sat all around on any flat surface. Alsin trembled as he came closer to his mother and gasped. The woman propped up in the bed was not Aurora Frasier... not any more. Her beautiful olive skin had crinkled to chipped scales. Her long brown hair had shriveled up white and red. Dried blood lined the opening of her cracked lips.

Mom, Alsin managed to say through the pressure in his chest.

The woman slowly opened her eyes and Alsin wished she hadn't. He took a step back but his father tightened his grip on his hand so he wouldn't run. Those eyes filled with so much love and energy now glared at him tired and in pain.

Alsindad, she whispered a smile faint on her lips.

He couldn't say anything except cry. Tears ran from his mother's face and she said I love you.

Heat rose from his feet, boiling hotter as it reached the cringing of his heart. Alsin curled his hands into fists and tightened them until his nails punctured skin.

I'm going to kill that witch for you mom.

Alsin's eyelids opened. He forced a swallow in the midst of his dry mouth.

He sighed as the dream bounced in and out of his memory. That night was a horrible night. With his head still leaning against the wall, he tried to imagine his mother alive and vibrant- always smiling and singing. The pressure in his chest relaxed, as he felt thankful for being ten when his mother died so he could still picture her. The image was blurry at times, but he'll never forget her features and her voice of music.