46: DINNER with the DEVIL

HANSEL POV

She sat at the long dining table and stared out the glass windows across the room. For weeks now, she's been living in that little cell in the dungeons praying for a moment of relief. That day had come and she'd been planning for it. She swooshed the tiny patch of green tea she had made to one side of her mouth.

She wiped her sweaty hands on the green dress that was lent to her and shifted in her chair. Someone approached her right side.

"Are you okay, Lady Hansel?"

She smiled up at Sir Naveen Orthon and nodded. "I am fine. Thank you, Sir Naveen."

"Hey pretty boy, leave the lady alone," Sir Lumiere Rice snickered standing by the wall.

Sir Garius Petro bellowed a laugh at whatever was funny. Sir Naveen groaned with annoyance, but kept his composure professional. He gave her a pleasant nod and instead of joining the knights, he took a stance in the middle of the floor- a few steps from her. She frowned. Men always were so obvious about their feelings towards her. All her life men would kiss her feet just to hear her say their name.

Marching footsteps entered the dining room. Four armsmen separated and stood at different corners of the room. Following them was King Edrich Von. She took one last breather and made sure her mouth stayed dry so not to ruin the patch. She rose onto her feet.

"Lady Hansel," he shouted and met her at the table. He took her hand pecked a kiss on it.

"Your Highness," she said and curtseyed. Her nose itched from his sweet cologne. Her vision blurred than cleared up.

"Let's not waste time. Let's eat," he said beckoning the servants by the kitchen door. They sat. Hansel scratched her right ear and touched the diamond earring hanging from her lobe. "So how's your stay thus far?"

She caught his eyes narrow and widened his smile alluring. She had practiced this for days. "Um...quite well," she shyly chuckled and stared down at the delicious gravy slathered steak. Her stomach growled awkwardly too loud. She shifted and wished to die than to be here.

"You're hungry. I know. Let's eat. I've been busy all day."

"Doing what?" she couldn't help herself.

His fork and knife paused. She held her breath. She could stab herself for being so stupid. Of what she could remember over the days of sniffing green tea, this king was a soother with a mind-altering gift. He held the control over what people said or do and did it for fun. His lips pressed into a straight line curved into a handsome smile. He plucked a piece of steak and stream bean into his mouth, and chuckled.

"Planning our wedding and the Festival of the Unforgotten," he said. She sliced tiny pieces of the contents on her plate and ate it softly so not to accidently swallow the green tea patch. "I'm planning to announce our betrothal than. Many people would be returning from Greenshine, so...yes I've been quite busy."

"Hmm," she said and nodded hoping he wasn't mentally telling her to boast his ego.

He occasionally glanced at her as they ate in silence. She concentrated hard on keeping the patched tea stationary. The last thing she wanted was for him to take notice and catch her red handed. She glanced at the horrid king then at her sharp knife. She could kill him now and face the consequences later.

He touched her left hand with great gentleness to the point she hadn't noticed he'd touched her. She jumped in start and caught his eyes. He studied her with suspicion. "Are you okay, my love?"

"Uh...yes. It's just. I haven't eaten like this in days so..."

"Oh, you remember your dwelling for the past weeks?"