10: SCRATCHY

KIT POV

Sleep was impossible. The events of two evenings ago constantly scratched the back of his head, begging him to speak with his master once and for all. What would he tell the old coinsman? How would he tell him? Ever since the old man took him in two years ago, all of his personal needs were generously met. Which meant one foul word about the king he served so willingly could lead him homeless in the streets of Terra.

And summer was coming. Already, he could feel his fears of the rumbling ground, screaming winds, and scavenging cravers swelling within him as the days counted down. Soon he would find himself hiding under his bed waiting impatiently for beginning of summer to end.

Master Citrus was a nice man, he reminded himself. He bit hard on the short nail of his left pinky wishing his little habit could mercilessly abstract all fear from his soul. Once he told his father, Jack Thalis, that he wanted to become a Triad Knight. He would stay in the royal palace and protect their king. It was a hearty dream, which shattered on that tragic day of innocent bloodshed. If he would become a knight, the first thing he'd do is avenge his family even if execution be the consequence.

A door opened and closed down the hallway of their chambers. Kit turned onto his left side, facing the cracked open door across the room. He snuggled his face into his pillow smelling fresh of roses yet the wooly fabric always made his skin itchy. He pushed himself up and folded back the beige blanket, gently rubbing his left cheek.

Noise of quick movements and footsteps echoed down the hall into his small bedroom. His master maybe old, most likely in his early fifties, but he was fast. Unlike other elders who had served faithfully in the King's Army, Master Citrus was the only one he knew who still wore his sword. He could hear it slapping the man's thigh as he moved about his business.

Kit swallowed and nibbled on his bottom lip. He trembled and inhaled the air swiveling in a faint aroma of buttermilk biscuits. In response to it, his stomach growled.

He trusted the old coinsman. He nodded at his final decision and jumped out of the bed. Stepping into a pair of knee-high breeches, a button down short sleeve shirt, and his new black sandals, he exited his room. At every step, Kit calmly hyperventilated, preparing himself for the outcome of his disclosure.

Passing four joined rooms, one was Master Citrus' office, another his bedroom, and the other guest and storage rooms, he entered the main area of their chambers. Three huge chandeliers hung from the high ceiling, casting light to the darkest corners of the vast room. To his left was the double doors leading into the hallway of the palace's residence quarters. Bookshelves lined the walls surrounding the doors, halting at three huge windows overlooking the Crystal Nile. The sitting area was neat and tidy as usual, for they never had time to actually relax before the fireplace.

To the center main space was their dining table that could hold up to ten people. Never had he seen that table reach its capacity. The first day meeting the old coinsman, Kit noticed he was a man of independence. Kindhearted yet strict and strong, his master knew his place in the royal palace, being the overseer of the kingdom's monetary. At times, he could read people like a book and his trust span only extended to the tip of his middle finger. So their visitor count always stayed at a minimum.

Kit walked across the glossed wooden floor passing the table cluttered with books, scrolls, and paperwork. Two green saucers and silverware sat in the only spots clear of clutter and a basket of steaming hot biscuits sat in between. Reaching the kitchen's long center countertop he massaged his stiff legs, which felt as if he'd walked for hours.

Master Citrus swiftly moved from one cabinet to collect two cups to the food cupboard to collect a jar of grape juice, butter, and strawberry jam. The light from the early morning sun and the candles above made master's gray-specked hair sparkle white. He felt Kit's presence and he smiled with an unknown cheer.