50: BLOOD-LUST

"Partisan," Roger greeted the old man that opened the door to a gray-stoned row-house.

"Oh, Roger," the old man said and happily embraced the young man.

"I'm sorry for being here with no earlier notice."

"LoniiLon. It's okay. Come in. Bring in your family."

Alsin scanned the narrow street for any followers. But his sensory was telling him they were okay except the neighbors who stood outside eying them with great suspicion. Nightfall was swiftly approaching casting shadows all around them. Lanterns and candles were lit along the streets that were slowly emptying.

He followed everyone inside and closed the door. He sniffed in the strong smell of an earlier meal mixed with smoke and took in the small house. Partisan's living quarters possessed only two armchairs, a coffee table, and a hearth. Fire danced in the hearth giving the room a welcoming warmth and glow. A skinny old dog laid idly in a corner by a narrow staircase.

"Partisan, this is my wife Ellis," Roger introduced and indicated the youngest girl. "And this is her daughter Ninah."

"Oh what happened to Nable?"

Alsin caught Roger's wife roll her eyes and scold, but her husband did not see it. Roger cleared his throat, "She got sick two years ago and passed, my friend."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. She was a beautiful and sweet woman," he said bopping his half bald head.

"Yes she was," the blacksmith said then introduced the rest of his family. "You remember my three children Rolan, Isan, and Hannagin." He turned to the three odd strangers with him. "And this huntsman here is Galiathan."

"A great name for a giant," the old man snickered. Alsin couldn't help but smile at the man's sense of humor. The giant on the other hand simply nodded.

"And this boy here is..."

"Kit. Kit Thalis, sir," said his cousin.

Alsin caught eyes with Roger and took that cue to introduce himself. "And I'm Sir Alsindad. Just call me Alsin."

"Alsindad. I once knew a fool who went by that name," Partisan openly admitted.

He nodded his agreement. "Yes my father had a good sense of humor."

"And so do you son. I can see it in that smile."

"I don't know whether that receives a thank you, but thank you," he said and by the grin on Partisan's face he knew he had gained a new friend.

"Come. Take off your cloaks and shoes if you want. My sweetheart had just put away sup, but she won't mind to take it back out."

"Thank you so much Partisan. You would not believe what we all have been through," Roger said.

"By the looks of yuh- no baggage and dirt on your skin. You've been to hell and back. Please get comfortable. I will call you when the tables set." The old man said wobbling towards an archway. "There's a privy upstairs if you wish to wash."

"Come Hannigan, Ninah let's go upstairs," Ellis said leading the girls to the stairway.

"Should we take off our shoes," Kit asked.

Roger laughed, "Only if you want. Come sons I know you all are hungry." And the three disappeared under the archway.

Alsin slipped out of the cloak Galiathan had given him and hung it on a rack. "He seems nice."

"I'm starving," Kit said giving a huge yawn. He scratched his wooden hand. "And I'm tired."

His stomach growled and his eyes burned a little, "Same here."