Chapter 9

Jaime

I watched as everyone else gave in to Cameron and Megan's mother's demand. So, naturally, I nodded my head too.
"Good, I should be back in about a week. Until then Laney is in charge," Their mother ordered.
"Laney?" Megan demanded in a weary tone.
"Yeah, Cameron you only caused conflict. If Megan wants to be with this human girl, you will respect that decision,"
"But mom.....," Cameron began.
"But Cameron...," Their mom whined, clearly mocking her daughter. Cameron glared at her mother who seemed to take little notice of it, "Anyway, I gotta go, oh, I'm already late. Hugs, Kisses and all that other happy shit," Their mother yelled as she swam away. I was left with a probably a priceless expression on my face. Their mother had a very different parenting style. I was honestly quite unprepared for it.
"Yeah, our mom is a little different," Megan chuckled as she turned to face me.
"Yeah, I'm getting that...," I agreed.
"Do you want to go onto land for a bit? Or do you wanna disobey and stay here?" Laney giggled. I'll be honest, I wasn't even surprised with her suggestion, following the rules didn't seem even remotely appealing to this girl, compared to going with her own flow.
"Go on land, if anyone got ahold of any of us it wouldn't be good," I say and everyone else nodded.
"Where can we stay?" Laney asked. Everyone looked at me for an answer.
"Mine," I reply.
We ran to my house just as the wind began to pick up.
"It's started," Megan awed.
"This'll be a big storm," Cameron remarks and I nod. We eventually reached my house, only to find five siren warriors guarding my home.
"Friendly?" I asked, they heard and began to run in our direction.
"Nope," Laney answers, and we began to run in the opposite.
"No shit," I shout as we ran and Laney laughed in response. I swear this girl is mental.
Just as it looks like they were gonna get us I hear a speaker blasting music and the screeching of motorcycle tires. We look back just in time to see the bike run over a warrior. Then the rider parked the bike and pulled off her helmet.
"Kayla!" I shout with joy, waving at my step-sister. However, just as I thought we were saved, about 15 more warriors stepped out from their hiding places.
"See, I love odds like this. No chance in hell of winning, but you can still go all out," A familiar male voice says, and I hear the twirling of a staff. I look over and saw Johnny grinning down the enemy.
"You guys get in the house, we got this," Kayla grins and I believe them.
I usher Megan, Cameron, and Laney into the house. We watched from the upstairs window as the fight commenced. Johnny kept true to his words and didn't hold back at all, but Kayla was just as good. They did all kinds of kicks and punches, Johnny did a few flips and other martial art kinda moves. I wanted to help so badly, but I know I couldn't, not without revealing myself. And everyone knows why I can't do that. So I'm forced to sit here and watch. I'm forced to do nothing. All because of what I am.

Several minutes later Johnny knocked out the last and just when I was about to give a sigh of relief, I saw the shining of a knife right before it sunk into Johnny's lower chest. I scream and ran down the stairs, I burst through the door and ran over just as he collapsed. The ground froze solid where my feet landed. I began to put pressure on the wound but the knife had cut a major artery, and he was losing too much blood.
"Johnny," I sobbed as I continued to try to stop the bleeding, even though it was pointless. I couldn't freeze it either, freezing it would kill him because the ice would freeze all the blood in the artery, not just plug the wound. I can't control my powers that precisely yet....
"Going out with style," Johnny chuckled as he gave a shaky thumbs up and a weak smile.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have gotten you involved," Kayla muttered as she knelt beside him.
Johnny shook his head in reply.
"I would've come either way. I protect my friends," He whispers weakly, then his body went limp. I wanted to stay with him for a while but more Sirens were on their way, we could hear them, we needed to go.